forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 29 Aug 13 4:59pm

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal
Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

Using alcohol in cakes (for members of family who are T-totals)

I know alcohol evaporates in cooking but I'm wondering if it gets "trapped" in cakes, so I avoid it if I am cooking for a particular member of the family.

It'd be great to get this clarified. Thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 29 Aug 13 6:40pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Using alcohol in cakes (for members of family who are T-totals)

I have, in the past, brought alcohol for a cake to the boil, simmered for a bit and then cooled it before using.  That way you should get all the taste and not the alcohol.

Likes (3)

#3 Fri 30 Aug 13 2:07am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Ethanol, which is "alcohol", boils at 78.3C. The method Olivia describes will work. In a cake chances are some will get caught but there would only be a minimal amount left. Unless someone had an allergy or a religious/social aversion you shouldn't need to pre-boil for your regular nondrinkers. Most recipes don't contain much anyway unless it's drizzled on top after baking. In which case you may want to pre-boil as heat from the cake even immediately after cooking won't necessarily be enough.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Aug 13 7:28am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

I have never tried making cakes previous to and would like to give it a try.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Aug 13 9:27am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

There are alcohol burn off charts for cooking.  it takes about 2.5 hrs of baking/ simmering to get the level of down to ~5% left in the mixture.  typical baking of a cupcake to cake would leave about 25 to 35 % of the alcohol.   A quick boil than cool will actually leave about 85 %  so if you do that before baking you still could have ~20% retention in a cake. 

http://nutrition-profiles.com/node/61

the nature of how alcohol binds with water  is why bringing it above the boiling point of  pure alcohol for short durations is insufficient to evap all alcohol out of a mixture.   To truely burn it off , you would need to dry out  almost all of  the moisture.

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 30 Aug 13 9:31am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (2)

#6 Fri 30 Aug 13 10:25am

greenlady

Occupation Unemployed
From Portugal
Member since Sun 07 Mar 10

Oops, Ashen. That's worrying! I assured family member that when I cook with white wine it evaporates COMPLETELY.  shocked
And I was just worried about baking... oh dear!  hmm

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 11 Sep 13 6:07am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 11 Sep 13 4:43pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

If you want flavour but don't want the alcohol, substitute Apple or Orange juice (decide which according to the other flavours you are using in the cake) instead. It will keep the liquid content of your recipe the same & will add a fresh zing to your cakes without the worry.
If you are using dried fruit, you can soak them in the fruit juice for a couple of hours at least & then add the remainder of the liquid as normal.

Last edited by minerva (Wed 11 Sep 13 4:44pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 11 Sep 13 11:54pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

what happens with vin brulè  then, it has often been said that it can be given to children because the alcohol has gone by burning it,

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 12 Sep 13 1:10am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Agree with Min ... Use apple or orange juice depending on other flavours ... Old family recipe steeps dried fruit in strong tea (might be an acquired taste) ... I often soak dried fruit in oj (not just for cakes, either).

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)