forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Sep 13 1:54pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

JO Monthly Cooking Challenge

I'd like to propose to the forum that we do a monthly cooking challenge on the forum.  I have participated in one in a different forum and it has really brought the online community together and I have hopes that it will do the same for us here at JO.  Plus it's fun and it gets us cooking!

So here is how the challenge works.  One person posts a challenge that lasts for the whole month.  It may be organized by an ingredient, a course, or a food situation.  For example, challenges might be titled something like "Celebrate Tomatoes" or "What can you do with Lamb" or "Breakfast" or "Soup" or "Fuse French and Indian Cuisine."

There are no prizes and this is not meant to be a serious competition, it's just meant to get everyone cooking, sharing recipes  and learning from eachother.  The "winner" will be chosen at the end of the month by the person who posted the challenge.  In turn, the winner gets to choose and post next month's challenge.

Submissions include recipes, stories about the ingredient, and of course pictures!  Remember to keep it fun, encourage eachother and do some good cooking!  I will post the first challenge myself so look for the thread called "September Cooking Challenge"
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 83#p700983

Let me know if you have any questions or are extremely against the idea.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 03 Sep 13 2:02pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 03 Sep 13 2:09pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: JO Monthly Cooking Challenge

I think we used to do something like this here a few years ago. There wad also one on the nigella forum, when that existed. I like the idea of a theme rather than a specific recipe/s.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 04 Sep 13 1:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We've had a few thing like this White Rabbit ,
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 00&p=1
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47552

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 54&p=1

I prefer the idea of a theme as well . Which is sort of what the other 1st of the month cooking challenge started as.
it's something that could be done over the month rather than on  the 1st of the month .

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 04 Sep 13 3:29pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Hmmm, not exactly the response I was hoping for.  Why don't you check out the September challenge, which is is Eggs.  It's open to everyone on the forum, you can participate by cooking, sharing a recipe, sharing a photo of a dish that features eggs that you've cooked before, or hopefully it will inspire someone to try out an egg dish they've been meaning to try.  It's not something you have to do on the first of the month, it will continue throughout the month of September at your leisure and you can post and participate as many times during the month as you like.  You can participate without even having to take part in the challenge, even if it's just to compliment someone's photo or to write a story about a memorable fritatta you once had on a trip to Italy (hypothetically).

I consider it to be a "theme-based" challenge as you indicate.  The theme is eggs, whether that means breakfast, snack, custard, dessert, egg nog..... the possibilities are endless.  Or even if you want to share pictures of your chickens and the beautiful eggs they lay... that's cool too.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 04 Sep 13 3:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

I just looked at those other threads and none of them really fit with what I'm hoping to start here.  Hopefully if people like it we'll have a different challenge every month with a new thread to go with it.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 04 Sep 13 10:12pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think mummza was saying that she prefers your idea over what we used to do. I was nearly making a comment that we'd done similar before as have other forums, meant conversationally rather than additive.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 04 Sep 13 11:12pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

This challenge was started in another forum that was going down the tubes a bit. Nobody was visiting the site anymore. Then we started this and the forum is booming again but it's become more like a community now than ever. We need something like that around here.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 04 Sep 13 11:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I tried to enter a recipe, but seems to be a problem loading.  Will let Merlin know.

Likes (0)