forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 03 Sep 13 9:35pm

Gerbabe

Occupation Nurse
From Dundee
Member since Wed 19 Jan 11

Re: Shop smart

I prefer to cook from fresh where possible, but due to working 12 hour shifts I often don't feel like cooking by the time I get home, or need to take something that can be heated in the microwave.  So it's a good idea (if possible) to have a day of cooking, where you can make meals and then freeze them so at least you're getting a decent meal in the evening, and ingredients aren't left in the fridge for days and going off.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 05 Sep 13 1:05pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I wish we had the range of frozen fish that seems to be available in the UK. It used to be just salmon but recently I've found dory and ling. This is plain fish without flavouring or crumbs or batter.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 07 Sep 13 11:42am

robinson196

Occupation Kitchen Designer
From West Yorkshire
Member since Sat 07 Sep 13

mummza wrote:

withe the prepacked bags of vegetables , if I buy them ,I usually look first at those misshapen smart price/basics etc bags as they are often good vegetables but just odd shapes and sizes.
But I prefer to buy loose vegetables and fruit so that I can chose exactly ehat I like.

A tip on fresh fruit and veggies from the supermarkets, usually the loose ones are cheaper per kg than pre packed, so worth checking and taking the 30 seconds to pack your own. Also you tend to buy what you need, rather than a bag that maybe to big!  wink

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 07 Sep 13 11:53am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forumrobinson196 smile

I have to say that I dont often buy the prepacked veg as I usually have a vegetable box delivered , but yes the loose vegetables are often cheaper than the prepacked ones.
But not always .. those odd shaped and miss sized ones are in the cheaper range sometimes cheaper than the loose ones you pick yourself and taste just as good.

I always buy loads of vegetables as I am Vegetarian but I do get yur point about just buying what you need . thumbsup

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 10 Sep 13 1:45pm

fiononi

Member since Mon 09 Sep 13

Merlin wrote:

I've tried meal plans for the week myself, but have struggled to accommodate for how free time in the working week can fluctuate. Have you found a way of dealing with this?

Brilliant stuff, thanks everyone. Keep them coming!

Hi Merlin,
I tend to do as much cooking and food prep as possible on a Sunday morning for the week. Then I freeze the dinners that need freezing so I have a "Ready meal" for the nights I don't have time to cook from scratch (cooking double batches also means that I have a few dinners for when I don't have time to cook at all as happens some weeks).

I also chop up all my veg and store it in plastic containers so i can just take out what I need for each meal.... does that make sense?

Fiona

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 16 Sep 13 3:40pm

luffarn

Member since Mon 16 Sep 13

Cabbage, usually cheap and filling, exchange half of minced meat for grated cabbage in Bolognese and other sauces/stews where you are usually using mince for a great flavour and good cost savings

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 30 Sep 13 10:23pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I never leave home with a menu in mind, and if ever, I'm ready to change it according to what I see on sale: it must look beautiful, fresh, sound, the price tells me how much I can buy if it's the right thing to eat because in season and the weather tells me it 'll make me feel well wink  big_smile

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 02 Oct 13 4:51pm

cynchalax

Occupation Stay at home Mommy and Wife
From Largo, Florida
Member since Wed 02 Oct 13

Powdered/shelf-stable milk has gotten me out of a jam or two.   I agree about canned tomatoes!  We always have those on hand, as well as diced onions in the freezer.
  It is important for me to always have flour and butter (or coconut oil).  As a baker, I can come up with ANY number of things with these  yummy
  I usually stock up on flours, and canned goods when on sale...I am a big fan of frozen vegetables and/or fruit, they are nice to have to round-out a meal or add nutrition to a casserole or dessert.

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 04 Oct 13 4:32pm

romavia

Member since Thu 03 Oct 13

That is great news for the ladies I think we can grab our favorite items from the sales, especially where the products and the product makers are doing their work under law.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 05 Oct 13 5:29am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'm a fan of powdered milk too. Great as emergency milk for cereal and I like the creaminess it gives to creamed rice.

We used to make up a chopped carrot, onion and celery mix for the freezer using the food processor when we used to use lots of that combination.

Likes (0)