forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Sep 13 2:00pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

September Cooking Challenge: EGGS!!

Our first cooking challenge will be EGGS!  If you'd like to participate in the challenge please stop by the thread that explains how the challenge works. http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 81#p700981

You can boil them, you can fry them, you can eat them for breakfast, or whip them into dessert.  These little beauties' versatility knows no bounds!  Please post your recipes and photos and the winner at the end of this month will get the privilege of choosing October's Cooking Challenge!

A la cuisine!

(Here is my attempt at eggs benedict - don't worry, since I posted the challenge I cannot win the challenge, but I'm definitely in on the fun of sharing my recipes too!)

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 03 Sep 13 2:19pm)

Likes (3)

#2 Fri 06 Sep 13 12:32am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Re: September Cooking Challenge: EGGS!!

Hi Koukou! Gr8 challenge, thank you! smile ...Mmm! I love eggs benedict & your photo! yummy

I cook mainly scrambled *free-range* eggs - with milk, eggs & grated cheese, which I boil/cook in a pot & serve on hot buttered toast! (I don't cook them in a frying-pan like I see on tv! wink! )...I do fry eggs to have with grilled free-range bacon, tho poached eggs are my fave too! thumbsup

My late dad made yummy omelettes, aswell as my hubby - I will ask hubby for his recipe! Also, when I worked in a café a few years back, the cook made; Spanakopita - which is a Greek Spinach Pie, which was very popular exclaim

Also, Koukou, you were talking about whether anyone has hens laying eggs too - my daughters landlord (who lives behind them out in the country) have free-roaming chickens - I will ask if I can post a pic later!

Happy *Egg* making, Everyone!  big_smile

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Fri 06 Sep 13 12:34am)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 06 Sep 13 10:54am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I tried in the new year to restart the cooking challenge but didn't get any takers  sad  so I am backing this 100%.

Eggs - I get loads of eggs I have 6 chickens at the moment so have about 6 eggs a day.  The children will often have one each for breakfast, dippy with solders or poached on toast.  I use them in my cake making ( make lovely sponge cakes ) and they make a great yorkshire pud !!.  Yesterday I baked some egg and bacon pies for the lunch boxes today, my 2 sons love these.  Couldn't take a photo, not organised enough, but will sort this soon for later efforts.

Gem

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 06 Sep 13 1:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Welcome on board Kiwi and Earthmum!  I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.  Since most of the members are from the UK around here I look forward to some beautiful red egg yolks.  The eggs we get here in the US have yellow yolks.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 06 Sep 13 1:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia  Ive never seen red egg yolks ,here in the UK  we get yellow yokes in the eggs as well

Earthnum , im sorry if id had time I would have done the cooking challange but this year has just been one huge rush so far but hopefully it will start to settle down soon,

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 06 Sep 13 5:03pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

I love this thread. Eggs are one of my all-time top five favourite things in the world. If they're scrambled properly (really silky and wet) then I'm in heaven. Poached on half of a baked sweet potato with really rich spicy beans is pretty fantastic too, and I really think fish pie is incomplete without them.  Also such a good thing to combine with any and all leftovers in a pan.

Man, am I hungry.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 06 Sep 13 8:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I use eggs a lot ut I cant say that I enjoy eating them , I do make sure that I eat a couple a week as I know they are a good protien sorce.
But I realy cant get enthusiastic about them llike you do Merlin  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 07 Sep 13 12:18am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I'm a bit meh about eggs too. I often make a frittata with grated zucchini for the kids which I'll eat some of. I'm hideously fussy about needing cooked whites and half cooked yolks so much of the time it's disappointing. I can't go past boiled eggs as a salad addition though, reminds me of community bbqs as a child.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 07 Sep 13 12:23am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Eggs don't overly rock my boat, either. Sorry.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Sat 07 Sep 13 12:47am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

If you like dessert if any kind then you have to like eggs somewhat. Creme caramel, custard, ice cream, meringue, zabaglione, etc.

Surely as foodies you all can come up with something beyond an omelette or an egg salad for a picnic hehe. That's why it's a challenge!  There's no end to what you can do, even if you hate scrambled eggs!

Last edited by koukouvagia (Sat 07 Sep 13 1:02am)

Likes (0)