forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Tue 10 Sep 13 12:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: September Cooking Challenge: EGGS!!

That meringue looks amazing Earthmum!  Does the bottom of it come out the texture of a cake?  Apples are in season now and this could be a nice first time with meringue for me.

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 12 Sep 13 2:33pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

We still have nearly 3 weeks left in the challenge, so think of your egg recipes soon!

Here's an early fall dish.  Leek and feta fritatta and a salad of arugula, gorgonzola, proscuitto and fresh figs.  For the fritatta I caramelized the chopped leeks with olive oil and added water to the pan as needed so they wouldn't burn.  Then I removed them from the pan and set aside.  Meanwhile I browned sliced potatoes on the bottom of the pan until almost cooked through.  I layered the caramelized leeks on top, poured in the beaten eggs and dotted it with cubs of feta cheese.  Into the oven it went until the eggs were set and I turned it upside down onto the platter.  The sweetness of the leeks are a perfect match for the briny saltiness of the feta.

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 12 Sep 13 2:34pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Have a slice!

Likes (0)

#34 Thu 12 Sep 13 11:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A homemade peach tart with a pastry cream filling.  I used the 'Joy of Baking' fruit tart recipe:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/FruitTart.html
I substituted Cup 4 Cup gluten-free flour and almond flour for the crust.  I topped the tart with locally-grown peaches from a great farm stand near our home which are grown not 50 miles from us and homemade peach glaze made from the same sun-ripened peaches.  I added both almond extract and vanilla extract to the pastry cream.  The peaches were perfectly ripe, which I recommend if making homemade desserts.  You don't have to use unripe fruit just because it will cut neatly, it won't taste as good as ripe fruit.  Treat yourself and stop worrying about how things look in pastry shops.  At home, it should be homemade-looking and it'll taste like nothing you can buy.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 12 Sep 13 11:29pm)

Likes (2)

#35 Fri 13 Sep 13 12:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

That looks quite professional MsPablo!

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 13 Sep 13 3:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Thank you!

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 13 Sep 13 10:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Looks good, ladies!

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#38 Sat 14 Sep 13 5:53am

0.99c Crusader

Occupation Student (Warrior)
From Gold Coast, Australia
Member since Sat 14 Sep 13

That does look great! What kind of feta did you use for the fritatta?

Hey guys i'm new, I was stumbling around the internet in search of cheap food recipes and came on to this thread! I have a couple ways I like to do eggs on toast, just to make it not so boring! Can't really post pictures but the recipes will give you an idea (I hope!). Sorry if this post is long in advance, I tend to get carried away when i'm talking about food..

So the recipe changes depending on my mood, but here are my two favourites!!
Start with the eggs on toast part, that's the easiest! Fry egg, make toast, DONE! Next comes the toppings!

So first grab a small onion, medium-sized tomato and a rasher of bacon and DICE 'EM ALL UP! Throw them in a bowl and now you can get creative, season it up how you want, I usually put oregano, basil, parsley (All dried), salt, pepper and a dash of worcestershire sauce and tabasco. However you do it, don't go overboard with the saltyness or anything like that. NEXT is what makes the whole thing delicious, grab some cheap jarred basil pesto (usually has a fair amount of oil in it already, but if you'd rather use fresh pesto just add olive oil afterwards). Anyhow, you want about a tablespoon or more to make sure it coats everything. Stir it all up, fry in some butter until the onions are soft and throw it on top of the egg, it's delicious!

For the other variation chop up some mushrooms and a small red onion, season in the same way but leave out the basil pesto. THIS TIME you want 1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard (We have an organic brand called Macro over here which I LOVE!). If you want to offset the tang a bit add some dijonnaise (it's kinda like mayo + mustard) or a small amount of whole egg mayo. Again don't forget some olive oil, stir it all up, fry til the onions are soft and the mushrooms are cooked through (you might need some more butter for those mushrooms). I tend not to add meat here except for mortadella, but that's pretty processed and some people don't like the taste!

These are just about my favourite breakfast/egg recipes of all time, they're cheap and filling and you know exactly what you're putting in.

Last edited by 0.99c Crusader (Sat 14 Sep 13 6:15am)

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 14 Sep 13 1:48pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Welcome to the forums Crusader, we hope you'll stick around and post some more recipes.  Eggs on toast I hear is very popular in the UK, it's not something we do here in the States although I can't figure out why.  We don't do beans on toast either, or anything on toast really.  I should try it for myself once just to try it.  Thanks for sharing your recipes!

For anyone apprehensive about adding photos, I simply take a photo with my smartphone and then email it to myself.  When I sit at my computer I can open the attachment and save in a special (gigantic) filing system on my computer where I keep pictures and recipes of all the food I make.  I'm pretty much a foodie like that, I take pictures of everything I cook. 

The feta I used in this particular instance is a Bulgarian feta, but most often I cook with Dodonis feta.

Likes (0)

#40 Tue 17 Sep 13 1:30pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

We still have a couple of weeks to go with our challenge, submit your recipes and photos for a chance to choose next month's challenge!

Likes (0)