forum: Campaigns and Community

#11 Fri 13 Sep 13 6:49pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
Occupation Musician
From NYC
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Cook clever

One chicken can feed us for days. I roast it for dinner, then remove the rest of the meat and use it in pot pies or chicken salad, then I use the carcass to make stock.

Keep the wax paper from butter wrappings in the freezer, use them to grease baking pans.

Any time a recipe calls for white wine I use dry vermouth. A bottle lasts much longer and tastes great.

A few old bananas become tomorrow's banana bread.

Old coffee grounds go into my flower pots.

Likes (4)

#12 Sun 15 Sep 13 8:33pm

benefit cynic

Member since Sun 15 Sep 13

keep the keys from old corned beef tins in case you buy a tin without one. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 15 Sep 13 8:36pm

benefit cynic

Member since Sun 15 Sep 13

A tip from Mauritian rustic cuisine,to guarantee the freshness of cashew nuts store in an old sock.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 15 Sep 13 8:58pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

benefit cynic wrote:

A tip from Mauritian rustic cuisine,to guarantee the freshness of cashew nuts store in an old sock.

A clean old sock I hope  lol  big_smile

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 20 Sep 13 12:02am

Spodaj

Member since Thu 19 Sep 13

Use any leftover sauces in your next meal.  I tend to make my own sauces for meals, so any leftover goes in the fridge.  Great to add to a shepherd's pie, so each shepherd's pie is different.  I often make Honey & Mustard glazed gammon, so the shepherd's pie comes out porky-mustardy-honeyish.  Same with chinese spare ribs, that sauce gives the shepherd's pie a oriental twist.

I use chicken gravy to put in a chicken risotto the next day, with the leftover chicken of course.

Likes (2)

#16 Fri 20 Sep 13 9:10am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

Thank you!!!! new idea for me. Have an awesome day!

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 24 Apr 14 5:57pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

dont trash the parsnip peels they can be used for cooking. smile

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#18 Mon 28 Apr 14 1:37pm

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

This is a great chicken recipe for using a whole chicken for various recipes

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chic … le-chicken

Minimal waste, big flavours and lots of meals!

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 02 May 14 5:08pm

DMantle

Member since Fri 02 May 14

I love to make rost dinner and make Apple pie

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 06 Feb 17 2:12am

RobMcGill

Occupation Senior Software Developer
From Ontario, Canada
Member since Sun 05 Feb 17

A handful of clever tricks...

1. Brine all poultry, all your chicken and even your turkeys. Go out and buy a big cheap cooler for your turkeys and reuse it every year. Or go for the cheap disposable Styrofoam coolers each year. Buy bags of ice at supermarket to keep it cold for 12-24 hours.

2. Use a pressure cooker for fast high quality meals. You can even cook some meats from frozen without worrying about drying outer layers. It works really well for soups since the boiling temperature of water is higher. No bubbling in the cooker means no cloudy soups. I also really like cooking squash this way, no chance of drying out and perfectly moist.

3. Use 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% olive oil in a spray bottle to keeping slow cooked grilled foods moist. Work especially well for smoked foods. Spray every hour or so.

4. For thickening a healthier/lower carb gravy skip the flour and corn starch. Use avocado or xanthan gum instead.

5. For best moist pork chops use a few glugs of olive oil before adding seasoning. Broil on high and cook them fast. Tasty charred fat.

6. For slow cooked meats wrap in foil most of the cooking process. It will trap moisture and result in flaky fall off the bone meat. I love cooking ribs for 4 hours this way and then transferring to barbecue.

Likes (0)