forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 19 Sep 13 1:11pm

snaz46

Member since Thu 12 Sep 13

Schools opting out of packed lunches

I have grandchildren now but I think that the Government should allow parents to send their children with packed lunch, my daughter is an excellent mother and chooses to send her children with a packed lunch, she has seen the rubbish that her local school serves and would not want them to eat there.  Her lunches are full of fruit, veg and yogurt, she cooks them a dinner at home every evening from scratch and feels she gives them a more varied diet than the school could.  She has Jamie's cookbooks and uses them all the time.
After the school said they will inspect the packed lunches to ensure they comply with their vision of healthy food they opened a school snack shop which sells chocolate bars etc., all the things they don't want children to have.
Where in this country is the choice for responsible parents if they ban packed lunches!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 19 Sep 13 11:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Schools opting out of packed lunches

Welcome to the forum snaz46 smile

School lunched vary from school authority to school authority.
In the school that I used to help in , there was a salad bar that children could visit and add a salad side dish to their lunch , this was popular.
Children also had a choice of what to eat and foods were prepared freshly as much as possible by the  school cooks .

My children used to have a school lunch in the days of the turkey twizzler and chips on the school menus , it wasn't great but I didn't worry as I knew that they ate a good well cooked meal every evening at home , they ate plenty of fresh vegetables and they ate plenty of fruit . For this reason I never worried too much about what they ate at the school lunches.
Their friends used to have school lunches and so this was a good social gathering and chatting at the table time , which I felt was valuable in terms of social skills.

I am not sure that schools can dictate to parents what children have in their packed lunch boxes , all that they can really do is to suggest to children that they bring suitable things to eat. I would think that it's up to the parents to ensure that the packed lunch is balanced .

It's sad that the choice of wether to send your child with a packed lunch or let them have school dinners might be stopped in some schools.
If you have a larger family school lunches work can out a fair amount out of a weekly household budget .

The tuck shops is another matter , I think the schools near where we live all sell fresh fruit , I don't think they are allowed to sell sweets of chocolate .

These things vary from school to school , authority to authority ,they are not consistent as far as I am aware .

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 21 Sep 13 1:59pm

snaz46

Member since Thu 12 Sep 13

I think it is fine if you know what is being served is good and healthy, my daughter has seen what is on offer and it is now what she wants her children to have she makes sure they have a balanced diet freshly cooked including, fish, lentils, fresh veg and fruit, most meal plans come from Jamie Oliver cook books.

As for snack shops can you honestly say that if a child is given the choice of a chocolate bar or an apple that most would choose an apple?  I would like to think that they would but the reality is that most would choose a chocolate bar.

I still believe that it is unfortunate that some parents do give their children processed or fast food and for those children and children where the only time they have a hot meal is school then that should be their choice but for parents that would rather give them a packed lunch and a healthy meal at night that should be their choice.

My daughter works and so does her husband and she has 2 young children even though she is rushed the meal in the evening brings them all together to talk about the day.

I believe in choice, for the most part I think parents are doing a good job, there are and always have been those that do not and these days they are the ones you hear about most.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 21 Sep 13 2:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

snaz46 wrote:

I

As for snack shops can you honestly say that if a child is given the choice of a chocolate bar or an apple that most would choose an apple?  I would like to think that they would but the reality is that most would choose a chocolate bar.

of course many children would choose chocolate but I did not mean that the schools in the area I live sold it alongside fruit.

What I meant was that they only sold fruit .

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 22 Sep 13 4:50am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Good point about the social experience mummza. Fortunately it's all packed lunches in the vast majority of schools in Australia. The tuck shop lists at our local primary schools are more of the sweets than fruit. When bunnikins gets there it'll just have to be a treat like it was when I was growing up.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 22 Sep 13 6:19am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The White Rabbit wrote:

The tuck shop lists at our local primary schools are more of the sweets than fruit. When bunnikins gets there it'll just have to be a treat like it was when I was growing up.

Has the "traffic light" system been abandoned in NSW state schools, TWR? (Long time since I was involved in tuck shop duty wink ). "Green" (as in fruit and sushi) always available; "Amber" available occasionally through term and "Red" (eg. chips/ crisps and soft drinks /soda/ pop) not sold.

Pity if it has gone.

Last edited by Maree (Sun 22 Sep 13 6:20am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Sun 22 Sep 13 9:42am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I think school lunches are a valuable social experience White Rabbit , it amazes me how few children sit at a table to eat meals , mostly because housing has got smaller and it seemsmany families do not have a table to sit  at all in their houses !
When I worked at the school I discovered that often the only time that children sat at a table to eat was when they went to granny's house or if they went out to eat ,( and this included places like going to McDonald's !)
I think sitting at a table to share a meal with friends is important .

As I have said many times here on the forum in the past , I was not too worried about what they ate at school meals as I always cooked for my family every day and I knew that they had a decent meal in the evening.

There are , however many children who for them is the only hot meal that they will get in the day and although some schools have reasonable and well balanced school meals , it seems that this is not universal.
School meals have improved over the years but there is still a long way to go.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 22 Sep 13 11:36am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

The menus on the schools websites didn't seem to mention a traffic light system. I suppose I'll find out. I hardly ate at school when I was young and I think bunnikins will be the same, too interested in what is going on.

When I was at school we used to eat in the playground with our friends. No real tables. It probably doesn't encourage eating.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 22 Sep 13 4:26pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

We were the same, TWR.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Fri 04 Oct 13 4:22pm

romavia

Member since Thu 03 Oct 13

After entering myself in the field of law, I came to know that how much important "THE LAW" is in our daily life as well as in our basics of schooling. I am trying to deliver my idea to everyone now a day that if, we want to save our new generation from such disastrous crimes, then we should provide them Law as a major subject in schooling.

Likes (0)