forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1031 Thu 11 Oct 12 11:50pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Soup's on!!

Youups found this thread, i love this place this time of year. I made a tomato soup (nothing new at home) so delicious..in fact its my slow cooker that did all the work while i stood by smile  lol

Likes (0)

#1032 Mon 12 Nov 12 12:04pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Ooh, love tomato soup that time of year  thumbsup

Making a batch of watercress and spinach soup tonight.. and just got a butternut squash and some sweet potatoes (that's for next week!)...  dribble

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#1033 Tue 18 Dec 12 8:34pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

I had a an amuse bouche ,  in Gordon Ramsay , a while back  Squash/truffle velout , with morel and bacon. I have had some good ones, this was the best. Seriously the whoopiest yup yup food in the whole of the Galaxy. Clare Smyth, my taste buds will love you forever,amazing!

Likes (0)

#1034 Tue 05 Mar 13 11:05pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

oliviascotland wrote:

My favourite soup at the moment is a spinach and coconut soup - very easy to make, too!  Melt a knob of butter in a deep pan, add a chopped onion, a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, then add 500g spinach, a pint of chicken stock, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.  Add a can of coconut milk (full fat one is best), bring back to the boil whilst stirring, then remove from the heat and blitz until smooth.  Taste, adjust seasoning and serve  dribble

Olivia - must sound tat one - seems easy and sounds delicious smile

Likes (0)

#1035 Wed 06 Mar 13 2:37am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

That sounds delicious, Olivia.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#1036 Tue 18 Jun 13 12:09pm

alisonskitchen

Member since Sat 04 Oct 08

How about this supper healthy soup recipe I wrote for Lighter Life Magazine

Smoked Haddock Chowder
Serves 4
Prep time  5mins
Cooking times  25mins

What you need

3 sticks of celery diced
400g potatoes cut into cubes
1L vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
2 leeks cut into disks
200ml skimmed milk
125g Sweetcorn, tinned or frozen
600g Smoked Haddock, skinned and cut into bite sized chunks
Small bunch of Parsley

What you do
In large saucepan heat 2 tsp of water then add the celery, put the lid on a sweat for 5 mins. Add the stock to the pan along with the potato and bay leaves and simmer for 10 mins until the potatoes are tender.
Add the leeks, sweetcorn, milk and haddock and a good grind of black pepper. Bring back to a simmer and cook for a further 5mins until the fish is cooked through.
Check the seasoning then divide between 4 bowls and top with the parsley leaves.

Notes
For a change use half smoked haddock and half prawns.

hope you like it

See my food writing and styling portfolio at http://alisonskitchen.com

Last edited by alisonskitchen (Tue 18 Jun 13 12:10pm)

Likes (0)

#1037 Wed 31 Jul 13 9:26am

sandrew834

Member since Mon 22 Jul 13

Basic homemade  vegetable soup recipe:
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 cups mixed chopped vegetables (try cauliflower, zucchini, green beans)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
8 cups water and 3 cubes of vegetable bouillon OR 8 cups vegetable broth
1 14 ounce can tomatoes
Preparation:

Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add onion, carrots and celery. Heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat for just another minute or two.
Add salt, thyme and oregano, stirring to coat the vegetables well.

Add bay leaf, water or vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. If using bouillon cubes, add and stir to make sure they dissolve.

Add tomatoes, stir, and allow soup to simmer until all the vegetables are cooked.

Adjust seasonings to taste.

Remove the bay leaf and serve your homemade vegetable soup with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and some crusty bread or crackers.

I tried it in my home and it's really YUMMMYYYYYYYYYYY..
big_smile

Likes (0)

#1038 Mon 12 Aug 13 8:05am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

A chicken soup recipe is also a great way to turn leftover chicken into a second meal. Try one of these easy chicken soup recipes or chicken stew recipes the next time you're craving a classic comfort food. Chicken noodle soup is undeniably comfort food for many people (especially when they're not feeling well) and this version gets a healthful update. Whole-wheat egg noodles add fiber and nutrients and reduced-sodium chicken broth cuts the sodium. By all means use homemade chicken broth if you have it.

Likes (0)

#1039 Wed 02 Oct 13 6:33am

marteenhook

Member since Fri 27 Sep 13

Thanks Montana for your Onion soup recipe. It’s soo easy to make, and healthy too. Thanks again.

Likes (0)

#1040 Fri 13 Dec 13 12:10am

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Jerusalem Artichoke Soup.
So seasonal so nice. Carrot,onion,artichoke, chicken stock, salt and pepper. That's it, don't peel them the flavour is on the outside. Scrub them if they are muddy. Pass the finished blitzed soup through a sieve.
Souperb!

Likes (0)