forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 04 Nov 13 6:38am

kerrinf30

Member since Mon 04 Nov 13

Re: Please listen re Woolworths Australia!

I don't disagree with any of the former posts regarding what damage the big companies can have to small towns, artisan producers, farmers etc but whether we like it or not it is companies like Coles and Woolies that will continue to 'teach' us how and when to shop. Do I agree with Jamie doing business with the big boys, lets not forget he is in business also, and has staff and overheads to think of, so lets keep our protests as real as possible.
I do believe however that Jamie's profile can make a difference.  Coles has been stating for some time now that they only sell pork that is now raised from sows not kept in stalls. Woolies has still not taken it upon themselves to do this, I see there is one brand of pork for sale in woolies that has lovely pictures of pastures on its packet, but no mention of how the pork was raised.
If only Jamie can protest about one thing and change that, what a great thing that would be.
Until Woolies take a stand on how their pork is produced I ask everyone not to buy it, eat something you can guarantee has had a good life, this may seem a small thing to do, but if everyone stops buying pork from woolies and if Jamie can at least speak with woolies suppliers of pork, then maybe we can make a little difference, start with small things to make changes. We will never beat the big companies but we can make sure they make change.

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 04 Nov 13 2:03pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Coles and Woolworths don't feature in my "creature" protein buying. I only buy from independent butchers, fishmongers/fish co-ops, independent game shops and farmers' markets.

Supermarket meat/ poultry/ fish is inferior in my experience.

I'd much prefer to support independent and local suppliers who know where their product came from and how it was reared (where appropriate). It might be a bit more expensive by weight but I'd prefer to buy less and get better quality, support locals and have some assurance regarding animal welfare/husbandry.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#13 Sat 16 Nov 13 12:46pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I only shop at woolies for a few things, like Jamie's fish fingers and fish cakes. I haven't eaten fish fingers in years as they taste awful, but Jamie's are yum.
The thing is, not everyone does have access to markets, butchers, decent bakeries etc.
I see it as a way to get a better standard of produce to those that have no alternative to Woolies. Fortunately, my woolies stock independent dairy products as well as the cheap stuff.

As for the government helping out the rural sector. This current government will not lift a finger. They are only out to help the big multi corporates. The rural sector put them into power by voting for the coalition and as the rural sector have never voted for anyone else, they feel they don't have to put any real effort into doing anything for the rural sector.

For now, the rural sector is going to have to suffer along with the rest of us until they open their eyes and stop blindly voting for the conservatives and elect the parties that will do something for them.

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 16 Nov 13 7:26pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Cindy wrote:

The thing is, not everyone does have access to markets, butchers, decent bakeries etc.

I agree! I'm extremely lucky with a market around the corner from me Wed-Sat and a very large market every Sunday 10 mins away every Sunday. I didn't have this (easy) access when I lived in Sydney.

Cindy wrote:

As for the government helping out the rural sector. This current government will not lift a finger. They are only out to help the big multi corporates. The rural sector put them into power by voting for the coalition and as the rural sector have never voted for anyone else, they feel they don't have to put any real effort into doing anything for the rural sector.

For now, the rural sector is going to have to suffer along with the rest of us until they open their eyes and stop blindly voting for the conservatives and elect the parties that will do something for them.

I agree (more than you would probably realise) wink.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#15 Mon 18 Nov 13 2:25pm

SueL

Member since Mon 18 Nov 13

Sarnia - you are so on the money and I congratulate you on your articulate and educated post.
I could not believe that Jamie aligned himself with the Australian supermarket chain - one part of our most outrageous and damaging duopoly.
He was one of my heroes and for me he championed the opposite of what the supermarket stood for.
He is quoted as being proud to bring ideas for cooking the fresh locally produced products that they sell to more Australian families - they sell nothing of the sort and the damage they cause to small businesses & the farming community in our country is horrendous.
It is not he supermarket concept that you are against, despite what White Rabbit thinks, it is the dangerous duoploy that we have with questionable business practices that squeeze small competitors, farmers and local suppliers to the limit for their own hunger for profit and market share.
What about the petrol discounts? They have decimated this industry as well with barely any small businesses left as they cant compete with multinationals who sell petrol at a loss to seduce customers to shop there.
What about the amount of foreign and unethical produce that is sold at the expense of the opposite?
What about them demanding that even the small suppliers bear the cost of out of date product despite having no control over the way the stock is handled and marketed?
What about making local suppliers produce plain or home brand products at a loss in order to get shelf space for their branded product?
What about the misleading labelling of supposedly local product that is actually mostly imported?
The milk is just the tip of the dirty iceberg!
Keep up the fight Sarnia. I am with you all the way.
If you want to make a difference Jamie, at least use your position to make them change their ways. At least find out more about what you are aligning yourself to.

Likes (6)

#16 Fri 22 Nov 13 5:31am

shaz1717

Occupation Teacher
From South Coast NSW Australia
Member since Fri 22 Nov 13

Sarnia and SueL, I couldn't agree more with everything you both say.  I live in a small coastal town and since these multinational supermarkets came to town we have lost 2 large independent locally owned supermarkets not to mention all of our independent fruit and vegie stores.  I now have no option but to shop at a supermarket to buy my fruit and veg.  I have to say that I was deeply disappointed to see the Woolworths advert on TV featuring Jamie - I have since been told it has been around for quite some weeks I caught it for the first time last week.  I was immediately angry and disillusioned.  I have been an avid fan of Jamie's since the days of the Naked Chef and not only did I make a point of watching everything of his on the telly but I have just about every cook book that he has ever put out.  Even travelled the 900km to Melbourne specifically to support the 15 restaurant a couple of years ago. I totally believed in, cheered for and supported everything he did in the name of social justice, the 15 foundation, food revolution, campaigns for better eating etc - but now I am completely disheartened by this move to link his name to that of a multinational that continues to rape and pillage our domestic producers under the guise of good business tactics.  I will protest this in the only way I can by not purchasing another single piece of Jamie Oliver merchandise nor will I be bothered support any more of his campaigns.  It is the least I can do.

Likes (3)

#17 Tue 17 Dec 13 11:41am

Lolol

Member since Tue 17 Dec 13

Sarnia, SueL, shaz1717: I complete agree with everything you say. Jamie Oliver has been my hero for years, and I was extremely disappointed to learn of his alliance with Woolworths, a ruthlessly unethical company. To me, Jamie Oliver represented hope, as someone using his celebrity status for good, and through initiatives such as Food Revolution, inspired me greatly with his genuine, caring nature. Now to hear that he is aligned with such an evil (yes, evil) company, I feel extremely despondent, because if we don't have the odd good guy like Jamie who stands up for what is right, what do we have? And to be honest, I am really scared at where we going to end up. I really hope Jamie hears this, and please, do what you do best and use your position for good - and make them change their ways.

Likes (2)

#18 Tue 17 Dec 13 11:50am

the small man

Member since Tue 17 Dec 13

JAMIE OLIVER SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL (Woolworths) You Hypocrite..........I HAVE STOPED eating at his restaurants
What about the little man Jamie SHAME ON YOU

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 17 Dec 13 2:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

the small man wrote:

JAMIE OLIVER SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL (Woolworths) You Hypocrite..........I HAVE STOPED eating at his restaurants
What about the little man Jamie SHAME ON YOU

Oh dear !
roll

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 17 Dec 13 8:39pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

My, there's no need to get melodramatic about it.

Likes (2)