Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1251 Fri 16 Jan 15 3:45pm

dragons1

Member since Fri 09 Jan 15

Re: Ask me a cooking question

What can i use instead of garlic as it does not like me?

Likes (0)

#1252 Mon 09 Feb 15 11:38pm

steshera

Member since Mon 09 Feb 15

What's a good substitue for chickpeas and cauliflower since we love Spur recepies but most oft them call for either both or one of the latter and they're not really our favourite vegetables here

Likes (0)

#1253 Tue 10 Feb 15 11:38am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

dragons1 wrote:

What can i use instead of garlic as it does not like me?

Nothing can give you the same flavour as garlic, but there are some options to get a similar depth.

In the first place, look to other alliums like onions, leeks or spring onions.

If you can't have those either, the spice asafoetida has a long history of being used in place of onions and garlic by those who couldn't eat them for religious reasons - so you could give that a go.

Likes (0)

#1254 Tue 10 Feb 15 11:40am

hippytea

From Scotland

steshera wrote:

What's a good substitue for chickpeas and cauliflower

For chickpeas: experiment with other types of peas or beans, maybe dried peas?

For cauliflower: broccoli gives a similar texture but has a sweeter flavour; otherwise try potatoes, especially waxy potatoes - the texture will be different from cauliflower but they have a nice bite and a mild flavour.

Likes (0)

#1255 Tue 10 Feb 15 9:20pm

sammiecat2

Member since Sat 17 Oct 09

Hi there
I have a fairly cheap cooker, you know the one you'll definitely get rid of one day when you do the kitchen up, after finishing the kids rooms and a new bathroom! My question is this the cooker oven takes longer than the suggested time on recipes. Do I - A. Keep the dish in for longer, or B. Turn up the heat?. What are the implications for both when baking (my new passion). Thanks. Sam

Likes (0)

#1256 Wed 11 Feb 15 2:35am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Sam , I suggest you get an oven thermometer , they are not to expensive and they hang from one of the shelves , that way you can acuratly check the oven temperature for baking .
The oven might take longer to cook things if it isn't a 'fan oven '

Also get used to how the smell of the baking changes as it's nearing fully cooked , I have no idea of time and have relied on the changing smells in cooking .., sounds s daft idea but it works , the smells of cooking change as things cook !

Likes (2)

#1257 Wed 11 Feb 15 10:00pm

sammiecat2

Member since Sat 17 Oct 09

Thank you mummza!

Likes (0)

#1258 Wed 11 Feb 15 10:23pm

hippytea

From Scotland

I'll second the oven thermometer, if it's cooking things slower than it ought it's probably because it's not as hot as it says it is. Oven thermostats are rarely correct (I was amazed to discover that mine was, it must just be a lucky one)

Likes (0)