Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 21 Mar 14 11:31am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Pasta Machine Advice

I have decided to splash out on a pasta machine, the plan is to make the dough in my trusty old kenwood mixer then roll out using my new toy.

I like the look of this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marcato-Atlas-L … scription, but could do with some advice before I splash out £50 on a "toy" - is it worth it would a cheaper one do - or should I spend more one a better one, what attachments etc etc.

Thanks

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:04pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Re: Pasta Machine Advice

HI Gem,
That is the same brand as my pasta machine and they look nearly exactly the same. The only thing I would say is the handle falls out sometimes but I'm thinking they have fixed this as thats the only thing that looks different to mine - the handle! I would check in more detail but mine is in storage.  Would recommend but I haven't tried other machines to compare.  But I use my food processor to make up the dough not my KitchenAid.
Good luck with your investigations and would like to know what you choose.
Sheryl

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I am no help as I roll the pasta with my kitchenaid pasta attachment . I do make the dough in the food processor which works well.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 21 Mar 14 12:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I've had an Atlas for almost 30 years. Has always worked well. Use the pasta attachment on my KitchenAid these days as it's "there" (saves getting the Atlas out).  Use the Magimix to make the dough smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Fri 21 Mar 14 1:57pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Mummza and Maree, I've often thought about getting the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid but I don't make pasta that often because of the time involved but maybe I would if it would make it quicker.  Does this make sense? Do you make your own pasta more often now or has the attachment just made it easier??

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 21 Mar 14 2:41pm

Maree

Forum super champ

The KA lives on the (very limited) bench, Sheryl, as does the Magimix. I just saves getting the Atlas out. I eat very little pasta (I try to limit gluten and high GI food) so I can't say the KA attachment has made me make it more often (at home) smile.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 21 Mar 14 6:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

same as Maree ... both the kitchen aid and magimaix live on the worktop .

I go through phases of making fresh pasta and so I am not sure if the pasta attatchment for the kitchen aid makes me make pasta more or not .
But I d know that between the magimix to make the pasta and the kitchen aid to roll it I can make it very easily .
I find the kitchenaid rollers work well and are easy to attatch.
After injuring my shoulder some years ago I could not make pasta without the machines so they have helped greatly.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 21 Mar 14 11:27pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I've got that pasta machine, and it works really well. I'm ashamed to say I haven't used it for several years, I seem to go in waves (long ones) as to making pasta. But it is happily sitting there waiting for me, in a cupboard, but very easy to get it out. And I have a good bench edge to clamp it on to.
Must use it soon!

Likes (2)

#9 Fri 21 Mar 14 11:30pm

Maree

Forum super champ

That's another reason I've not used the Atlas here, Joy. My bench overhang isn't sufficient to clamp it on securely.

Likes (3)

#10 Sat 22 Mar 14 9:55pm

nigella clarissa

From aux bords de la Seine
Member since Tue 16 Aug 05

Giorgio Locatelli is a beautiful pasta machine... clap  cool  yummy

Likes (3)