Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 01 May 14 6:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Rosemary Cuttings

My rosemary plants survive the winter and the snow . But they are in the ground and not a pot .
(I'm not sure how cold it gets in NewYork during winter )

Growing basil here outside is only in the summer , it does not seem to grow very tall , I remember going  to Atlanta and seeing my friends plants that were around 3foot tall and being amazed , I'm lucky if I can get the plants to grow as high as one foot tall !

Mint likes a bit if space but grows like a weed .I have mint growing in an old china sink .

In my garden I have quite a lot if thyme plants , quite a few small rosemary plants , a small bay bush and a small rosemary bush , parsley but parsley hasn't reappeared yet after the winter  , mint which is now sprouting again into life . I will plant basil when the weather gets better . 
I did have sage but that grew large then it was a casualty of the harsh winter we had a few years ago and I did have chives but my darling pulled them out thinking they were a weed !

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 01 May 14 7:27am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

mummza wrote:

Growing basil here outside is only in the summer , it does not seem to grow very tall , I remember going  to Atlanta and seeing my friends plants that were around 3foot tall and being amazed , I'm lucky if I can get the plants to grow as high as one foot tall ...

... and I did have chives but my darling pulled them out thinking they were a weed !

I cut back my basil last week to make pesto for my daughter. The plant (growing in a pot) was up to my neck. OK, I'm not very tall, but ... It's shooting again. I can usually manage to keep it going until late June/ early July (mid Winter here).

My FIL did that (thought was a weed) with my lemongrass. Why he'd think I'd have a clump of "weeds" in a corner of a weed-free herb garden I don't know. I have it here (unmolested) growing in a pot. It's taller than I am.

Guess this thread makes me aware of how much I take for granted having a herb and (some) veg garden growing on my balcony/ courtyard.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (3)

#23 Thu 01 May 14 10:51am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I grow so many herbs all round the garden, some have to be started each year like basil, others are old friends, my Rosemary was very old, and died a couple of years ago hence the new smaller plant.  I have a path that runs round the garden and use to have a low box hedge which got a fungus last year and the whole thing had to come out so I have decided to replace with rosemary keeping it trimmed to about 2 foot or so I saw this once at an open garden, the owner had made a herb garden with a rosemary hedge round it.  It will take a couple of years to achieve but I am hopeful.

Herbs growing in the garden - Rosemary, lavender, hysop, thyme, lots of different mint, angelica, savoury, marjoram, tarragon, chives and garlic chives, fennel, lemon balm, lemon grass, sage, basil on the kitchen window sill along with some coriander and parsley - garden one hasn't come through yet.  I think thats all.  I do love my herbs.

Gem

Edit to add lovage

Last edited by Earthmum (Thu 01 May 14 10:53am)

Likes (1)

#24 Thu 01 May 14 11:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes a rosemary hedge is beautiful , it takes a while to grow and thicken but when it's in flower it attracts a mass of bees and really very beautiful.
We had an old neighbour that had a rosemary hedge (to hide his compost heap ) I always loved that hedge and wanted my father to grow one .

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 01 May 14 12:21pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I agree  smile  it will be a beautiful hedge! Imagine brushing against it on a warm day!
My herbs are parsley (continental), a rosemary bush, chives, normal thyme and a broadleaved thyme, chives, oregano, begamot, and also curry leaves, Vietnamese mint and the amazing Cambodian herb that tastes like sorrel only sparkier! Oh yes and horseradish (waiting for it to get fat enough to use).

Edit and I keep growing basil and coriander but only have them seasonally.

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Thu 01 May 14 12:23pm)

Likes (2)

#26 Sun 04 May 14 10:43am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

We use rosemary branches as skewers for shish kebabs. we leave the leaves on.

Likes (2)

#27 Sun 04 May 14 10:44am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

What you need to remember when you want to keep the leaves is push what you want to skewer from below. Above will push the leaves off.

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 06 May 14 3:28pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Grandmadamada wrote:

I asked once a beautiful deep diamond blue eyed elderly lady who was a stories collector if she was a (good)witch aswell and how they make themselves recognizable and sign the territorio, she smiled impercettibilmente and told me they just move plants .............. that suited me perfectly ........... out of our entrance gate on the public street grows a plant of rosemary
  smile  shocked  lol  thumbsup

You could so easily have being talking about me.....I 'plant' all sorts in people's gardens.......herbs especially!

Likes (3)

#29 Tue 06 May 14 3:56pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I often offer plants and herbs around to be planted in  people's gardens, the ladies would agree but keep telling the men do not want to be slowed or annoyed whem mowing the lawns eheheh thinking they are formula 1 drivers wink

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Tue 06 May 14 3:57pm)

Likes (2)