Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 07 Aug 14 8:32pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Help needed

I have been confused ever since I first saw this advert many years ago.
And I have been thinking about it ever since which is really quite sad really. I mean, haven't I got anything more important to think about?

Anyway can you help?
I mean what does it all mean?
I don't mean the meaning of life. I worked that out a long time ago. I mean this advert. What does this advert mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ0GO07YXY8

I know it is a car advert. But how is all that about some boy getting eaten by a shark, and some guy walking with no shoes meant to get people to buy that car?
I can't work it out and have been thinking about it for years.

The mods don't need to delete it because it is no longer something that is still sold. The advert is loads of years old.

But I am still confused by it. Why would anyone after watching that advert think. Ok I am going to buy that car instead of some other car? The car doesn't even come on that much in the advert.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 07 Aug 14 9:13pm

limey77

Member since Fri 25 Jul 14

Re: Help needed

The young boy with the shark is the same person as the guy throughout the rest of the commercial. The whole idea is that there are two types of people, one set who turn and run and are therefore weak and cowardly; and the other who stand and fight and are therefore brave and strong.

You thought the kid was eaten by the shark, but he was only bitten and stood and fought off the shark, so is brave and strong.

Now he's grown up, has a scar on his muscular stomach and a beautiful girlfriend/wife and is still brave and strong but now successful. And most importantly he drives the car they're selling.

The idea being that if you too drive that car you will be seen to be brave, strong, successful and irresistible to women.

Likes (2)

#3 Tue 12 Aug 14 1:11am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

What does the man who gives his shoes away mean?
And the handcufed lady?
And the bride that punches that guy? You know I think he had a lucky escape.
And the ugly guy with a cat?
Does that mean that car might look shiit, but it is good?

It didn't really give any information about the car. I drive a Zafi. Choose it cause it has loads of space and does good Miles/Litre and it is common. So if I have a crash I can get replacement parts from the scrap yard easily instead of ordering it from the manufacturer.
But even though that is why I bought it, I paid loads for replacement parts from the manufacturer because I was too lazy to check out the scrapyards.

Anyway, they don't tell us anything about things like space and miles/litre, or anything else about the car. Just some snap shots of stuff I don't know the meaning of. My brother says I don't understand it cause I'm not the type of person they are targeting to buy it.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 12 Aug 14 2:25am

limey77

Member since Fri 25 Jul 14

It's all part of the same idea that there's two types of people.

The guy with the shoes has given them to a beggar because the beggar needed them more, so is kind/generous.

The handcuffed lady - there are two people handcuffed together a well-dressed business man and a scruffy girl. Someone goes to hand the poor girl a drink but she can't reach it and the businessman takes it and hands it to her - again is kind/generous.

The bride punches the groom after he shakes his head saying he can't marry her - showing he's mean/spiteful/selfish - so she runs off.

The guy with the cat looks like a latino gangster covered in tattoos, so you'd think he's be violent and aggressive, but instead he's stroking a cat - again kind and this time soft/friendly.

The whole ad is saying there are two types of people - good and bad - if you're good you'll buy this car and by driving it other people will know your good/kind/generous as well as being sexy/successful and masculine.

It's typical advertising schtick to sell an average car in a very crowd section of the car market.

I wouldn't worry about not getting it - it's far from important.

Enjoy Orlando!

Likes (0)