Subscribe to forums RSS

#81 Sat 23 Aug 14 7:36pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

Re: Home Preserves

hedgerow jam never heard it before what is it ? how do you do your apple and sultana chutney,mummza this interesting dried fruits in a chutney... susanne never heard of this- using vanilla sugar in it,how can i make my own i have heard that is good for desserts and other things.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#82 Sun 24 Aug 14 12:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hedgerow jam is things like blackberries , things that grow in the hedgerows and can be made into a jam.

For the chutney I used an apple chutney recipe that I found on the forum but also added sultanas , ginger root , turmeric powder ,  I also added cinnamon stick and dried chilli's (wrapped in muslin bag )and  bayleaves that I removed after the chutney was cooked .

Likes (0)

#83 Sun 24 Aug 14 10:29am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

that is a tricky recipe mummza, using bay leaves in a chutney and turmeric sounds odd to me ,but the other things fit very good with the recipe. smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#84 Sun 24 Aug 14 9:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I just put 2 or 3 large bay leaves into the chutney whilst it cooked user , I removed them before it was bottled , it gave just a background hint without flavouring much  we are all very pleased with the end result , it worked very well.

Likes (0)

#85 Mon 25 Aug 14 7:41am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

My hedgerow jam is made entirely of found fruit, user2014. Everything found on a walk.

I continued by boiling everything. Then I took a taste, added a little more sugar (about 2 or 3 slightly heaped TBSP to counter the bitterness of the rowans a bit more). Then I noticed that the haws had rather unpleasant big seeds (I had never used them before and no recipe after all), so I used an oldfashioned food mill to get them out. I used the disk with the bigger holes, so the haw seeds came out, but there is still the texture from the berries + small seeds from brambles etc.  Also, I think I would not have needed pectin - or a much smaller quantity. The haws have a starchy texture, so that the jam is not so runny.
Had I anticipated that I had to pass the jam through the food mill I would have done it earlier in the process....
Anyway, I returned the mix to a short boil, then filled about 4 1/2 small jars.
The result is a lovely dark red jam (rich color), with a slightly bitter component.

User 2014, I make vanilla sugar myself instead of buying the pre-made stuff (with vanilla flavoring), or adding extracts or essences. Whenever I use a vanilla bean (not often, sometimes it takes over a year until I use the next one), I put the scraped out pod in a jar of sugar. After a few days the sugar has a lovely vanilla flavor. Whenever the jar is about half empty I refill it. After a while it will not be as intense, but the vanilly bean will give flavor for a really long time - and it costs nothing (except the regular granulated or caster sugar). When the recipe asks to add the pod in addition to the scraped out insides, I add the candied one that has been in my sugar jar instead, and still put the new one in the sugar jar. (I use a biggish jam jar to do this. )
A jam jar of home made vanilla sugar makes a great gift, too.

Likes (0)

#86 Mon 25 Aug 14 8:32am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I have only used the rowan berries in making a jelly , never in a jam .
I think I remember I cooked them with apples first
Then strained the juice off overnight using a jelly bag .
I always work on 1 pint of strained juice to 1 pound of sugar .

So far this year apart from making the marmalade early I. The year I've only had time to make the chutney and onion marmalade for the wedding .
I've missed making all the jam with the summer fruits  sad

Likes (0)

#87 Mon 25 Aug 14 11:53am

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

me too, i really missed it, i love to help making the jam... sad , hmm .

Likes (0)

#88 Mon 25 Aug 14 2:55pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I think I  too would have made jelly from the rowans and elder berries, if I had only had one kind of fruit. But with the mix I didn't make juice - the haws did not seem to be a juice kind of fruit. wink

I had never used rowans or haws before.

Likes (0)

#89 Mon 25 Aug 14 3:30pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student

rowan and elderberry jelly this sounds interesting to me, can i look at the recipe,please ,never did a jelly althought i have some recipes in a book for it, and we dont have gelatin i might look at it for some recipes...

Likes (0)

#90 Mon 25 Aug 14 7:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

user2014 wrote:

rowan and elderberry jelly this sounds interesting to me, can i look at the recipe,please ,never did a jelly althought i have some recipes in a book for it, and we dont have gelatin i might look at it for some recipes...

the jelly I am taling about is made in the same way as you make a jam its  a preserve  and so does not have gelatine in it , it is used as you use jam and some jelly like quince jelly or redcurrant jelly is eaten with cold meats or cheeses.

what you do is  get the juice and flavour out fron the fruit by cooing it with some water ( amout depends on the weight of fruit you have ) and then you strain the fruit through a clothe jelly bag overnight collecting the juice that drips from the fruit .
You then measure the juice and add sugar depending on how much juce has been collected.
The juice and sugar is put into a pan and then boiled together untill it reaches setting point , just like making a jam .
It then gets put into steralised jars and seals whilst hot.

(the type of jelly that uses a gelatine in a jelly/jello for a desert ).

Likes (0)