Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Mon 18 Apr 05 3:11pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Re: COOKIES ANONYMOUS

I've never noticed condensed milk here...

There are berlingots of nestlé's I don't know what actually.  I need to investigate this.

Ok, Kayleigh, louee, Rosibrie, Tblash, Figgy, Foie, Jackie, Sabine...where are you?

:shock:  :shock:

Likes (0)

#12 Mon 18 Apr 05 3:12pm

louee

Occupation mum to 5 beautiful children
From Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
Member since Sat 19 Mar 05

Will try and find one honast,  I could plagerise and nick the one kayleigh gave me  lol

Likes (0)

#13 Mon 18 Apr 05 3:18pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

when my aunt came back from Hawaii with a whole bag of macadamias...sooooo good!
Might I add that we sandwiched ice cream between them?  big_smile

Macadamia Nut-Chocolate Chunk Cookies:
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 ounces best quality dark chocolate,chopped
3/4 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts*

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg, almond extract, and vanilla and mix well.
Onto a sheet of waxed paper or into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix well. Fold in the chocolate and nuts.
With a 1/4-cup scoop, portion out the dough onto the baking sheet, leaving 2-inches between each piece. Bake until the edges are golden brown but the centers are still slightly soft, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. With a spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.

*NOTE: If the nuts are salted, rinse under cold running water and pat dry before using
Yield: 1 dozen large cookies

Likes (0)

#14 Mon 18 Apr 05 5:30pm

La Luna

Forum champ
From Peterborough, ON Canada
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

There is a gingerbread cookie recipe of mine in the Recipes section Jennijo.
Likely on page 12 or so by now.... go to the Recipe section and then search for gingerbread...
L

Found it:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forums/viewt … ingerbread

Also....
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forums/viewt … mp;start=0

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 18 Apr 05 10:30pm

AndyH

Occupation Drinks Taster
From Beer Garden
Member since Sun 04 Jul 04

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cup + 2 tbl. unsifted, bleached, all pu, rpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 yolk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 325 F. Temperature is critical so use an oven thermometer to verify the correct oven temperature and adjust as necessary. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and set aside to cool until it’s lukewarm. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. Do not sift. Place both sugars in a medium mixing bowl. Pour melted butter into sugar and mix until completely blended. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla extract. Mix until blended. Add flour mixture and mix until blended. Add chocolate chips. Mix just until chips are evenly distributed.

Line 11 x 17 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Don’t use waxed paper. It’s too flammable.

Baking Instructions:
Using a scant 1/4 cup of cookie dough, roll a ball in the palms of your hands. Grab the ball with the fingertips of both hands and pull the dough into two pieces resembling half moons. Rotate the halves so the two jagged/flat sides point toward the ceiling and push the two halves together. You’ll now have a cookie with a jagged top surface (they look like little tree stumps). (I didn't do this for all of them and they were fine) Place the cookies(about 6 per sheet) onto the cookie sheets. Put cookies in oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Start checking for doneness after about 13 minutes and every two minutes thereafter. They are done when they are turning light golden brown and the edges are starting to get dry and firm while thecenters are still soft. Cool cookies completely on their cookie sheets.

The twin secrets to these "mall style" cookies are the melted butter and the extra egg yolk.

Serving Suggestions Serve warm or allow to cool completely. Store completely cooled cookies in airtight containers, separating layers of cookies with waxed paper. The dough will keep refrigerated for 2 days and frozen for about 30 days. Be sure to wrap it closely with plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container. Thaw frozen dough overnight in the refrigerator. Baked cookies will keep in the freezer for a few weeks. Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Thaw 15 minutes at room temperature for a quick cookie fix.

NOTES:
1) The dark brown sugar makes darker colored cookies. The light
brown or golden brown sugar makes lighter colored cookies. I preferthe dark ones because of the little extra flavor the molasses adds.
2) For a nice variation, use light brown sugar instead of dark, substitute white chocolate chips, and add 2 or 3 tsp. grated orange peel (from one large orange), to the batter. These are called White Chip, Orange Dream Cookies.

This took Ages to type I hope you appreciate it. I think it was e-mailed to me from friends abroad.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 18 Apr 05 10:35pm

kayleigh

Occupation Full time mummy!
From Petersfield.
Member since Tue 22 Mar 05

cheers andy, i think i will be doing those this weekend!!

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 19 Apr 05 5:22pm

louee

for link.

Have the printer going as we speak.

Thank you Luna for letting us all nick your recipe.  Will get the ingrediants when I next go shopping SOON.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 19 Apr 05 5:26pm

La Luna

Forum champ
From Peterborough, ON Canada
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

No problem louee - sharing recipes is part of what this site is about.
jennijo - pleased to hear the cookies were enjoyed.

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 21 Apr 05 2:59pm

jay_joanne

Occupation Preschool teacher, mom
From Boston, Massachusetts
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

My favorite cookie, especially great when the snow is falling in big puffy flakes and it's a do-nothing Saturday afternoon in those bleak mid-winter months...
If anyone is familiar with the Dancing Deer Baking Company's ginger-clove cookies, these are very close to them.

MOLASSES COOKIES

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 325°F. and lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.

In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter, shortening, and 3 cups sugar until light and fluffy and beat in molasses. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture and combine well.

In a small shallow bowl put remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Form dough into 2-inch balls and roll in sugar. On baking sheets arrange balls about 4 inches apart and flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake cookies in batches in middle of the oven 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. (Cookies should be soft.) Transfer cookies with a metal spatula to racks to cool.

Makes about 25 cookies.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 21 Apr 05 4:10pm

louee

Thanks for the receipe Jay_joanne, have printed it out.

Haven't a clue when I am going to make all these cookies, Can't do too many I don't want my boys getting porky

Likes (0)