forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Tue 14 Jun 05 4:17am

LunchExpress

Occupation Home Engineer
From Canada
Member since Mon 13 Jun 05

Re: COOKIES ANONYMOUS

I'm looking for some cookie recipes that have cookies that go well with tea. Homemade is great!

big_smile

Likes (0)

#42 Mon 25 Jul 05 5:20pm

Bob

From Jamie's office
Member since Wed 13 Apr 05

*bump*.. again  wink

Likes (0)

#43 Tue 26 Jul 05 2:45pm

Montana

Forum champ
Member since Mon 21 Feb 05

Thank you Bob, for keeping this active!

8)

Likes (0)

#44 Mon 01 Aug 05 4:01am

LunchExpress

Occupation Home Engineer
From Canada
Member since Mon 13 Jun 05

I guess everyone is on vacation.

But I did try a lemon cake and it was delicious.
:P

Likes (0)

#45 Tue 09 Aug 05 9:19am

Montana

Forum champ

Hello LunchExpress,

Why don't you post that lemon cake recipe for us?

Montana 8)

Likes (0)

#46 Tue 09 Aug 05 10:57am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Woah Joanne,those candy bar cookies look soooo gooood!!!
Looks a little like Squillionaire's/Millionaire's Shortbread?
I'm so gonna try them out next week...

8)

Likes (0)

#47 Tue 09 Aug 05 2:35pm

jay_joanne

Occupation Preschool teacher, mom
From Boston, Massachusetts
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

I like your description of the Candybar Cookies!  I think they should be renamed Squillionare's Shortbread!  big_smile
They are very easy, just multi-stepped.  I hope you enjoy them.  They never last long around here! big_smile
xx
Joanne

Likes (0)

#48 Tue 09 Aug 05 2:51pm

jay_joanne

Occupation Preschool teacher, mom
From Boston, Massachusetts
Member since Wed 30 Jun 04

While I'm here on the subject, two great recipes I have tried this summer:

Rasbberry Powder Puffs

4  egg whites
1  cup sugar
1  teaspoon grated orange zest
1  teaspoon vanilla extract
1  cup all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon baking powder
1  cup sour cream
1/3  cup raspberry preserves
Confectioners' sugar (for dusting)

Heat oven to 350° F. Using an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form, about 1 1/2 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add the granulated sugar. Continue beating until glossy, about 1 minute. Add the orange zest and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until no white streaks remain. Spoon the batter into a large resealable plastic bag. Using scissors, cut the end off a corner of the bag to create a circle about 1/2 inch in diameter. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, pipe the batter into 24 1 1/2-inch rounds (about the size of silver dollars). Bake until puffed and golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream and preserves. Spread some of the raspberry mixture onto the bottom of half the cookies. Form sandwiches with the remaining cookies. Sprinkle with the confectioners' sugar just before serving.

Yield: Makes 24 puffs

Chocolate-Chip Apricot Bars

1/2  cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2  cups light brown sugar
2  eggs
2  teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon ground cinnamon
3  cups rolled oats
3/4  cup chocolate chips
3/4  cup chopped dried apricots

Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and light brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and blend until smooth. With a spoon, stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and apricots.
Press the batter into the pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden and the pastry begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. The center should be slightly soft. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into 18 bars when still warm, then let cool completely before removing from the pan.

Yield: Makes 18 bars

Likes (0)

#49 Fri 02 Sep 05 9:41am

Montana

Forum champ

jay_joanne,

those sound delicious!

8)

Likes (0)

#50 Fri 02 Sep 05 12:57pm

Mona Lisa

Occupation Mum
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 11 Aug 04

For those chocolate lovers out there - I just couldn't resist in sharing a few of my favourites.   lol

Don't over mix or overcook these brownies or they'll become too cake like, and dry. They're supposed to be moist and gooey inside, so you can't test them for doneness with a toothpick. Instead, keep an eye on them while they're baking: they will swell up and then level off just before they're done.

Makes 12 large brownies

1 cup unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup or golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped toasted pecans
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
Vanilla ice cream
1 cup Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
Sliced strawberries
Caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
In double boiler or a small bowl set over simmering water, melt half the butter and the unsweetened chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly. In a mixing bowl, cream together the remaining butter and the sugar. Beat in the syrup, vanilla, and salt. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture, and then the flour. Do not over mix. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chunks.

Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. The brownies will swell up and then level off just before they are done. They should remain moist even when done: do not over bake.

Cool before cutting. To serve, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the center of the brownie, and drizzle with warm Chocolate Sauce. Garnish with berries and dust with powdered sugar.

**Chocolate Sauce**

8 ounces semisweet chocolate 
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
1 tablespoon orange flavoured liqueur
3/4 cup light corn syrup (or golden syrup)
3/4 cup heavy cream

Cut the chocolate and butter into small pieces and place with the brandy, orange liqueur, and golden syrup in a double boiler and allow to soften. The butter will melt, but the chocolate chunks will hold their shape until pressed. Remove from the heat and whisk together. When the mixture is smooth. Stir in the cream.

This sauce keeps very well in the refrigerator. If you leave out the cream, it makes a great icing.

Likes (0)