forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 23 Aug 05 4:30am

Dunk's crab

From Beijing,China
Member since Sat 26 Mar 05

Re: Can you give me any top tips on getting started as a chef?

Yes,Chef is a good job,but U know if too many people to be that.This job must to be obsolete!I'm not kidding!
So I think this job is not very easy!Jamie is Chef material,but sb is not.So I think it is a problem 2! big_smile I just not that Chef material!
So I can chooes an other one!
Hope Every body make Ur dreams can true!!!!
Cheers!
SEE YA!!

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 26 Aug 05 4:06pm

Trac

From Wirral
Member since Fri 26 Aug 05

I'm opening my own coffee shop hopefully by the end of September big_smile

Any ideas on how to make it a bit different as there are lots of other Coffee Shops in the little town?

ps  I've been to Fifteen London & Amsterdam and had THE most wonderful food & drink experiences there and all the staff were really friendly and cool!!  Thanks very much

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 27 Aug 05 5:06am

Dunk's crab

From Beijing,China

Oh,I must hand it to YA!Hope it can be very famous!Where is it,may be we can going to there,and try it!
And That's really a good idea!

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 03 Sep 05 9:39am

KylepSloan

Occupation Line Cook
From Las Vegas, Nevada
Member since Sat 03 Sep 05

Hey guys i'm new to the forum but a big fan of jamies. I am 22 and the way i got into the culinary world was before investing so much time and money into culinary school i got a job in a restaurant. As well as taking courses at a small arts school. I loved it, well i had always liked cooking at home and cooking for friends and family letting them be my test subjects on my new creations :twisted:  some which wern't so tasty and some which were great. Currently i have graduated from the Le Cordon Bleu Institute  here in the States in Portland, Oregon and a little bit of time in Paris. My current job is now as a saute chef at the prestigious Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.  It just shows ya that with the right plan and technique even a Punk rocker like myself can become a fine member in this culinary world.
P.S: Don't let anyone get the worst of you and shoot for the stars. big_smile

Best Wishes Kyle P. Sloan

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 03 Sep 05 11:03am

Dunk's crab

From Beijing,China

U have a very good dream! big_smile That's so cool!Yes,to go the road which U like!Don't like me,my father want me to be a lawyer!In fact,I don't want,I never interested on that!
Ok,Good luck in Ur future!!
I will make the force be with U!
Hope We Can Be Friends in the BBS! big_smile
That's my e-mail,Master_Meng@msn.com!
U can find me or talk with me!
SEE U!

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 04 Sep 05 11:36am

KylepSloan

Occupation Line Cook
From Las Vegas, Nevada

Here dunk and anyone out there.

Here is my email for anyone with questions
kylepsloan@yahoo.com

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 15 Sep 05 4:28pm

The Daz

From Swansea/Porthcawl
Member since Thu 15 Sep 05

I'm new 2 this site and new 2 the catering industry.
I left school and went on a training scheme in hotel and catering but left soon after as the college bit was great but i was used as cheap labour and was stood by a fryer cooking chips allday so i left and went into computers and stayed there up until 6 months ago.I'd always loved cooking and knew that that was where my heart really was!!!I thought i could cut the grade and became a chef at a local pub called "The Farmer's Arms" in Porthcawl,boy!was i in for a shock!!!The food i was sending out was brill,but the pressure was immense!!!as i was on my own with just 1 prep girl,serving at least 70 customers between 12pm and 2pm and then 7 pm til 9pm id have 2 cater for parties of 20 and 30 plus bar meals,i realised that i was out of my depth,(i'm proud cos not 1 complaint during the month i worked there).I then became assistant cook at an old peoples home ind within weeks was made chef,i love it there,the things i learnt and am still learning is amazing and i also go to college 1 evening a week to get more qualifications,but,i dont want to become a top chef and work for someone else,i want my own restaurant and can see this happening hopefully in a couple of years,not a big fancy restaurant like jamies or gary rhodes etc.. But a small,nice,cosey and smart one on the sea front in Porthcawl.What i'm trying to say is that,i just want to make a comfortable living doing what i love best..cooking.Does anyone have a similar vision or has achieved it already??Would love to hear from you.Thanx Daz big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 16 Sep 05 9:00am

KylepSloan

Occupation Line Cook
From Las Vegas, Nevada

Well just hang on and don't fret things get easier as you get used to them. I work at the Bellagio in Las vegas, in Todd English's OLIVES.
We have a 10 Person kitchen not including dishwashers and front of the house staff. For our dinner service we do about 600-750 people in a timeframe of 5 hours. So just keep at it.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 18 Sep 05 7:16pm

Gemma B

From Durham
Member since Sun 18 Sep 05

My mum and I are quite concerned about my just-turned 18 year old brother. He is completing a modern apprenticeship here in Durham at a 2 Rosemary star restaurant. However since he started about 7 or 8 months ago he has been given no time within work to complete his NVQ level 2 portfolio and because he is being made to work in excess of 70 hours a week on the rate of 100 pounds a week regardless or hours worked he has very little time outside of work to complete it.

This would be fine if he was receiving sufficent training but he has been allocated the Pastry section and the only training he appears to receive is being given recipes and being told to follow them. Obviously my mum and I have no Chef training but I thought (after watching 15 on channel 4) that by now he should be aware of the quality of the ingredients he's using and the different cuts of meat, and even basic knowledge of sauces.

He is becoming disheartened by the lack of training he is receiving but seems to be stuck in the mindset that because this is a high quality restaurant this is the best place to learn.

My brother achieved 7 GCSE's at grade B. He is extremely passionate and dedicated to cooking and I don't want to see him waste this love but I think if he stays where he is he won't achieve either a qualification or high quality training.

Have you any advice on different routes into being a Chef? Or what you would do in my brother's shoes?

Thanks

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 19 Sep 05 5:06am

KylepSloan

Occupation Line Cook
From Las Vegas, Nevada

Its too bad to here that. Sounds like he is catching a really raw deal there. Where Exactly is he getting his cullinary training and could you explain to me what a 2 rosemary stars meens. I'm not sure what you are talking about that part. I recieved my training at Western Culinary Institute and even more at Le Acadamie Le Cordon Bleu in Paris and am currently working at a five star restaurant in Las Vegas. you can re post here or talk to me by sending an email.

kylepsloan@yahoo.com

Likes (0)