Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Strawberries & cream cake
dessert recipes | 8
This recipe is a very special treat and an online exclusive from our 50th issue, the Strawberries & cream cake on our front cover. What better way to celebrate? Here's to the next 50!
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Grease and line two round 20cm cake tins.
2. Either by hand, or using an electric mixer, cream the butter and 100g of the sugar until pale, then beat in the egg yolks, lemon zest, flour and baking powder. Fold in the milk, then divide the cake batter between the two tins.
3. In a clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually whisk in the remaining 200g of sugar. Keep mixing for about 5 minutes, or until you have a stiff and glossy meringue. Set aside.
4. Place a handful of the strawberries in a bowl, add a squeeze of lemon juice and the extra tablespoon of the sugar then mash it all together with the back of a fork, until you have a purιe. Ripple it through the meringue, divide the mixture between both tins, then use a fork to flick the meringue into peaks across the top of one cake.
5. Pop both cakes in the oven for 2025 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and the meringue is lightly golden on top. Leave them to cool in the tins.
6. Meanwhile, pour the cream into a bowl, add the vanilla seeds and whisk until it forms soft peaks. When both cakes are cool, transfer the unpeaked cake to a stand or board, scatter over the remaining strawberries, spoon over the jam and cream, and top with the remaining cake. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe Georgina Hayden
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 50
ingredients 125g butter, plus extra for greasing
300g sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra
4 eggs, separated
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of juice
125g self-raising flour
1⁄2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
225g strawberries, hulled and sliced
Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
150ml double cream
3 tbsp strawberry jam
Icing sugar, to serve