Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Pomegranate & chicken stew
main courses | serves 4-6
This comforting one-pot chicken dish is full of rich, warming Middle-eastern flavours. You can buy pomegranate molasses in large supermarkets, delis or Middle Eastern shops – or make your own by simmering pomegranate juice until thick and sticky.
1. Heat the oil in a casserole over a medium heat. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown in the hot oil for 7–8 minutes. Remove the pieces to a plate and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add another splash of oil with the onions. Stir well, being sure to catch the sticky bits at the bottom of the pan. Cook slowly for 15 minutes, till onions are soft, adding the garlic, chilli and the coriander for the last 5 minutes. Stir in the passata, molasses and pomegranate juice, season well, then bring to the boil.
3. Return the chicken with any juices to the pan, cover and lower heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened, checking often that it’s not sticking. Toss the rice with the extra coriander, then place the chicken on top and scatter with pomegranate seeds.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 15
ingredients• 1-2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 chicken, jointed
• 1 tsp paprika
• 2 onions, sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 red chilli, finely sliced
• 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus extra for the rice
• 300ml tomato passata
• 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
• About 200ml pomegranate juice
• Boiled rice and pomegranate seeds