Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | 4
Jamaican-style jerk fish uses a tantalising blend of allspice berries, scotch bonnets, ginger and a slug of rum for a marinade that packs a serious punch.
1. Lay the fish in a shallow oven dish, make 3 slashes in the flesh of each one with a sharp knife and set aside.
2. For the marinade, pound the allspice berries, peppercorns and bay leaves in a pestle and mortar until fine. Mix in the cloves, sugar and honey, add the herbs, chillies, garlic and ginger and bash it all together.
3. Tip into a jug, add the chopped green tops of the spring onions, the lime zest, a drizzle of oil, a pinch of salt and the rum, if using. Mix well.
4. Pour the marinade over the fish and massage it in. (It?s a good idea to wear rubber gloves for this!) Leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the salsa. Heat a griddle pan until searing hot, and cook the corn for 5?10 minutes, turning every minute or two until the corn is evenly charred. Set them aside until they?re cool enough to handle, then carefully remove the kernels from the husk with a sharp knife.
6. Add the kernels to a serving bowl with the mango, spring onions, coriander and tomatoes. Season to taste, add the lime juice and zest, a little olive oil, and toss to combine.
7. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Place the fish in the pre-heated oven and bake for 15?20 minutes, until slightly charred and cooked.
8. Serve each fish whole with the salsa on the side, and the lime wedges for squeezing over.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 38
ingredients? 4 whole fish (such as sea bream
or red mullet), gutted and scaled
? 2 limes, cut into wedges, to serve
? 1 tbsp allspice berries
? 1 tbsp black peppercorns
? 2 bay leaves
? A large pinch of ground cloves
? ½ tbsp muscovado sugar
? 2 tbsp runny honey
? 1 tbsp picked thyme, chopped
? A few sprigs of coriander, chopped
? 2 scotch bonnet chillies, finely chopped
? 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
? 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
? 2 spring onions, finely sliced
? Zest of 1 lime
? Olive oil
? 2 tbsp golden rum (optional)
? 3 fresh corn on the cob
? 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped
? 4 spring onions, finely sliced
? ½ bunch fresh coriander, chopped
? 2 tomatoes, chopped
? Zest and juice of 2 limes