Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Algarve escabeche sandwich
snacks and sides | serves 6-8
Escabeche was originally developed back in the days before refrigeration as a way of preserving fish – the fish is fried and soused in a vinegary onion sauce. Today, it’s the perfect
thing to pack up for a picnic at the seaside. We used corvina (meagre), a big, meaty member of the drumfish family – but this would work beautifully with grouper, cod or hake.
1. In a bowl, combine the vinegars and onion, add the fish and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and some black pepper. Sift the flour into another bowl. Drain the fish and toss in the dry marinade, then in the flour.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and, once hot, carefully add the fish and fry for 3–5 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Make your sandwich straight away, piling up your fish, onion slices and lettuce in a lovely crusty roll.
Per serving 358cals, 3.4g sugars, 23.1g fat (3g saturated), 24.4g protein, 11.4g carbs
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 41
ingredients• 7 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 7 tbsp cider vinegar
• 700g fish fillets, chopped
into 2cm cubes
• 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
• 2 little gem lettuces, to serve
• 6–8 crusty rolls, to serve
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp oregano