Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Andy’s spicy aubergine stew
main courses | serves 6
Our 50th issue saw Jamie take on our editor Andy for a cook-up in the kitchen! Andy loves to serve his Turkish perdeli pilav pie with this gorgeous fragrant stew.
1. Layer up the aubergine slices in a colander over a bowl, sprinkling with a little sea salt as you go. Put a plate on top and weight it down with a large stone or tins of tomatoes. Leave for at least 30 minutes – this will draw out excess moisture.
2. Rinse the aubergine slices well under running cold water then leave them to dry on kitchen paper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat then fry the aubergine slices, in batches, for 6–8 minutes, turning them once, until softened and starting to turn golden brown. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Pour out half the olive oil into a bowl to use another time, if you like.
4. Add the onions, garlic and oregano to the pan and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 6–8 minutes, until softened. Mix in the paprika, cumin and coriander seeds, season generously and stir for 2 minutes, then add the vinegar and lemon juice and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
5. Grate the tomatoes on the coarse side of a box grater into a bowl. Add them to the pan with the tomato purée and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the mixture has slightly reduced.
6. Return the aubergine slices to the saucepan, stir the mixture well and bring it to the boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Serve hot or cold with the perdeli pilav.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 50
ingredients• 3 aubergines (about 750g), thickly sliced
• 150ml olive oil
• 3 red onions, sliced
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tbsp sweet paprika
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed with a mortar and pestle
• 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
• Juice of 1 small lemon
• 4 large ripe tomatoes
• 1 tbsp tomato purée