Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Baked potato soup
starter | serves 4–6
"It seems a waste of energy to put the oven on for a couple of spuds, so now I always cook extra to use in this very easy soup, and then start at step 2," says Felicity. "It’s not elegant, but it will work wonders on a case of the shivers. The parmesan rind adds a nice savoury note, but don’t worry if you don’t have it – this is a soup to warm you up, not send you out into the cold to the shops. It’s ridiculously comforting, like a big toasty duvet."
1. If you’re using leftover baked potatoes, skip this step. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Wash the potatoes and dry well, then prick each one with a fork and wrap in foil. Put on a rack in the middle of the oven and cook for about 75 minutes. The exact time depends on the size of your potatoes, but to check, give them a quick squeeze, bearing in mind they’ll be hot: the potato should just give under your fingers. Remove from the oven then, when cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters. Leave to cool completely.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and cook the onion until soft – it will take about 10 minutes. Cut the potatoes, skin and all, into 2cm chunks.
3. Add the potato and parmesan rind to the pan, season, and then cook for 5 minutes. Add 1.25 litres of stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the rind, then purée the soup until smooth with a stick blender or in a liquidiser. Return to the pan, check the seasoning, and thin with remaining stock, if you like.
5. Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, snipped chives and a pinch of black pepper, with crumbled cheese and bacon on the side for the whole baked potato experience.
Per serving 353 cals, 16.6g fat (9.1g saturated), 12.4g protein, 36.1g carbs, 3.9g sugars
Recipe Felicity Cloake
Photo Jan Baldwin
from Issue 25
ingredients• 3 large baking potatoes (or leftover baked potatoes)
• 40g butter
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 parmesan rind, whatever size you have in the fridge (optional)
• 1.5 litres chicken or veg stock
• Sour cream and a small bunch of chives, chopped, to garnish
• Crisp, crumbled bacon and lancashire cheese, to serve