Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | serves 6
The world cup feature in issue 49 saw Jamie putting his twist on dishes from some of the countries taking part. This Central American street food is ideal to enjoy with pre-match drinks. Just top the tortillas with your favourites – refried beans, fried eggs, crisp chorizo, cheese, avocado… whatever you like!
1. Sift the flour, baking powder and 2 teaspoons of salt together in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the groundnut oil and about 200ml of warm water, or as much as you need to form a dough, mixing with a knife until it comes together.
2. Tip the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for 4–5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Return it to the bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for 1 hour.
3. Place a large non-stick frying pan over a low–medium heat and pour in a glug of the oil. Add the garlic, onions and cumin and sauté for about 10 minutes, until soft and sticky.
4. Turn up the heat to medium, stir in the kidney beans, sour cream and vinegar, season well and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the beans have softened.
5. Mash your refried beans for a coarse texture, or blitz them in a blender if you prefer them smooth. Return the beans to the pan and leave to one side for reheating later.
6. When your dough has risen, divide it into 12 even pieces and roll them into balls. Flatten out each one with your hand, then, on a floured surface, roll them out into a tortilla 2mm thick and about 18cm in diameter.
7. Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and, once hot, dry-fry each tortilla for 1 minute on each side, until just coloured – you want them still soft enough to roll. Cover with kitchen foil to keep them warm while you fry the rest.
8. When ready to serve, lay out your chosen toppings. Place the pan of bean mixture over a low–medium heat for 1–2 minutes, until warmed through, then spread a couple of spoonfuls over each tortilla. Scatter over the chilli and coriander, add your toppings and serve with lime wedges on the side, for squeezing over.
Per serving 970 cals, 53.3g fat (15.9g sat fats), 37g protein, 91.1g carbs, 8.2g sugars
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
ingredients• 500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 125ml groundnut oil, plus extra for frying
• 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 1 tsp cumin
• 2 x 400g tins of kidney beans, drained
• 2 tbsp sour cream
• A splash of white wine vinegar
• 1–2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped, to serve
• A bunch of coriander, finely chopped, to serve
• Lime wedges, to serve
• 220g chorizo, sliced and fried
• 150g cheddar, coarsely grated
• 150g feta, broken into chunks
• 2–4 avocados, sliced and dressed with lime juice
• 4–6 fried eggs
• Chilli sauce