Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Berry good pancakes
breakfast | makes 6
1. Have the kids get a mixing bowl, crack the egg on the side of it, and put the egg in the bowl. If any shell gets in, they can use the larger eggshell to fish it out.
2. Next, let them fill the same cup with flour, then add that to the bowl. Toss in the baking powder, if you have it. Fill the cup with milk and add that too, with a tiny pinch of sea salt. Now show them how to use a whisk to mix everything till smooth. Cover your bowl in clingfilm and put to one side. Now get your toppings ready from the ideas below.
3. Put a large frying pan on a medium heat. Get the kids to half the butter. Once it has melted and is starting to bubble, have them spoon the pancake batter into the pan so it is roughly the size of an orange. They should be able to make 2–3 pancakes in the pan.
4. Cook the pancakes for 1–2 minutes, until little bubbles rise up to the top. Get the kids to dot a handful of blueberries across the half-cooked pancakes. Show older kids how to use a fish-slice or heatproof spatula to carefully turn them, but you might need to do this for little children. Cook the pancakes for another minute or so, till golden on both sides.
5. When they are done, transfer them to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Carefully wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper, then add the remaining butter and keep going until all the batter is used up.
6. Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan and fry off 6 slices of streaky bacon until lovely and crisp. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and the blueberries.
Other topping ideas:
- Top the finished pancakes with banana, the zest of a lime and a drizzle of honey.
- Stir a spoonful of dessicated coconut into the batter then top with yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
- Fry a sliced apple in a knob of butter until golden and set aside whilst you make the pancakes. Top with the apples, ice cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
Recipe Anna Jones
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 15
ingredients• 1 egg
• 1 cup self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder (optional)
• 1 cup milk
• 20g butter
• 6 slices streaky bacon
• A handful of blueberries