Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Boiled prawn wontons with chilli dressing
starter | serves 8?10 as a starter
1. First, make the sichuan seasoning. Dry-roast the sichuan pepper and sea salt in a heavy-based pan. When the peppercorns start to pop and become aromatic, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, grind to a powder in a pestle and mortar or spice grinder.
2. Next, make the chilli dressing. Place the chilli in a heatproof bowl. Heat the oil in a small heavy-based frying pan until it shimmers slightly, then carefully pour the oil over the chilli to release the heat and flavour. Stir, then let stand, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain the oil through a fine sieve over a bowl (discard the chilli), and mix with remaining dressing ingredients.
3. For the wontons, place the prawn meat in a bowl with all the remaining ingredients, except the wonton wrappers, and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. For each wonton, place a rounded teaspoon of prawn filling in the centre of a wrapper. Dip your finger in some water and moisten the bottom edge of the wrapper, then fold it in half, towards you, to enclose the filling. Smoothing out any air, press to seal. Hold the wonton lengthways with the folded edge down. Fold in half lengthways, then lightly moisten one corner of the folded edge. Bring the two ends together with a twisting action and press lightly to seal, making a ring shape.
5. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Carefully drop the wontons, in batches, into the water and cook for 2Ā minutes, or till just cooked through. To test if the wontons are ready, remove one using a slotted spoon and cut through it with a sharp knife. The prawns should be just cooked through. Remove the other wontons and drain in a colander.
6. To serve, arrange the wontons on a serving platter. Stir the chilli dressing and then spoon it over the wontons. Serve immediately, sprinkled with sichuan seasoning.
Per serving 277 cals, 16.5g fat (3.2g saturated), 9.7g protein, 20.4g carbs, 4g sugars
Recipe Kylie Kwong
Photo Maja Smend
from Issue 25
ingredients? 225g raw prawns, peeled and diced
? 1 spring onion, finely sliced
? About 1cm ginger, finely sliced
? 1½ tsp shaoxing wine or dry sherry
? 3 tsp light soy sauce
? ½ tsp white sugar
? ½ tsp sesame oil
? 24 fresh wonton wrappers, about 7cm square
? A pinch of sichuan seasoning, to serve
? 1 tbsp of sichuan pepper
? 3 tbsp of sea salt
? 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
? 40ml vegetable oil
? 20ml light soy sauce
? 20ml rice wine vinegar
? 1 tsp white sugar
? A pinch of sichuan seasoning