Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Bulgur & lentil salad
snacks and sides | serves 4-6
Our editor Andy Harris takes us on a culinary journey through Turkey with some tantalising recipes from his new book, Eat Istanbul, like this colourful, fragrant salad.
1. Place the bulgur in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to expand and cool for 30–45 minutes.
2. Put the lentils, garlic and bay leaves in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cover with plenty of cold water and bring it to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20–30 minutes, or until tender. Drain in a colander, discard the garlic and bay leaves and place the lentils in a large mixing bowl.
3 Drain the bulgur in a colander, then transfer to a clean tea towel, wrap it up and squeeze tightly to get rid of excess water. Tip it into the lentils.
4. Add the spring onions, tomatoes, peppers, onion, parsley, mint and dill to the lentils, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well. Stir in the olive oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon zest and juice and mix until combined.
5. Leave for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse, then serve sprinkled with the sumac.
Per serving 574 cals, 35.9g fat (5.2g sat fats), 13.2g protein, 51.1g carbs, 21.6g sugarsDrink 2012 Planalto White Reserva, Douro, £7.99, Majestic
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
ingredients• 150g dark bulgur wheat
• 150g green or yellow lentils
• 2 garlic cloves
• 2 bay leaves
• 6 spring onions, sliced
• 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped
• 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
• 1 red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 tbsp roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
• 3 tbsp roughly chopped mint
• 3 tbsp finely chopped dill
• 150ml extra virgin olive oil
• 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
• Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
• 1 tsp sumac, to serve