Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Cajun roast chicken, veg & spicy gravy
main courses | serves 6
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Place the chicken on a clean board. Bash the herbs and spices with good pinch of salt and pepper in a pestle and mortar. Grate in the orange zest, add half the thyme, and bash again. Mix in 1 tablespoon of olive oil then rub the spice mix all over the chicken.
2. Place the onion and chopped carrot in a roasting tin. Sit the chicken on top, and rub a good drizzle of oil into the skin. Halve the zested orange; pop 1 half in the chicken, reserve the other. Reduce the oven to 180C/gas 4 and roast for 7580 minutes, till the chicken is golden and when pierced in the thickest part, the juices run clear.
3. Meanwhile, parboil the potatoes for 56 minutes; drain and let sit to steam dry for a few minutes. Shake to scuff the edges, then tip into a roasting tin and season with salt. Mix in the garlic and a glug of oil. Roast with the chicken for 50 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, parboil the carrots for 4 minutes; drain and steam dry. Tip into a roasting tin, season, and mix with the honey, remaining thyme and orange juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside.
5. When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven. Pop the carrots in the oven and check the potatoes, shaking the tray to turn them, and turn the oven up to 200C/gas 6. Keep an eye on the veg, so they dont burn, while you make the gravy.
6. Transfer the chicken to a board to rest and loosely cover in foil. Dissolve the stock cube in 750ml just-boiled water. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and scrape the sticky bits off the bottom. Get the flour nice and dark (not burnt), then add the stock. Bring to the boil then simmer rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring. When the gravy reaches the consistency you like, strain it through a sieve. By now the roast veg should be ready to serve with the cajun roast chicken and spicy gravy.
Recipe Georgie Socratous
Photo Emma Lee
from Issue 26
ingredients 1 x 1.6kg chicken
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp allspice berries
1 bunch of thyme, leaves picked