Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Caldo verde soup
starter | serves 4
Roll up the kale leaves tightly like a cigar (cut out the thick stems first) before cutting them into wafer-thin strips as they do in Portugal, where this soup is eaten on a daily basis.
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Stir in the potatoes, season with salt, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add 1.25 litres of water and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Mash the potatoes into the liquid to produce a smooth purée. Add the shredded kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the chorizo slices, sprinkling paprika over them in the pan, for 3–4 minutes. Add the chorizo to the soup, then ladle the soup into bowls and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with a swirl of olive oil in each bowl and slices of corn bread.
Note: You can buy great corn bread at Portuguese stores like London’s Lisboa Delicatessen (54 Golborne Road, W10; 0208 969 1052), or substitute with decent ciabatta.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 15
ingredients• 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 700g potatoes, diced
• 300g kale or cavolo nero, finely shredded
• 150g chorizo, sliced
• Extra-virgin olive oil and corn bread (see note), to serve