Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Candied beet salad with buttermilk dressing
main courses | serves 4
.The striped candy cane beets in this beautiful salad certainly live up to their name, lending a sugary flavour that goes so well with the savoury toasted seeds. If you can?t get them, the sweet golden varieties are a good alternative.
1. Give your beetroots a good clean, then place them in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then cover, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, until they are soft. Drain and set aside to cool. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and cut roughly into 3cm wedges.
2. While the beetroots are cooking, toss the seeds in a little olive oil with the paprika and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then toast them in a dry frying pan until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Make the dressing by whisking the buttermilk in a jug with the juice of half the lemon and a good glug of olive oil. Season well. Stir in the chopped herbs and leave to one side.
4. Melt the butter in the frying pan you toasted the seeds in, and finely grate in the zest of the orange. Add
a squeeze of orange juice, the cinnamon and sugar and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and leave to bubble away for around 10 minutes until caramelised and sticky. Remove from the heat and toss through the cooked beets. Leave them to cool slightly in the pan, then spread out onto a platter.
5. Serve, after tossing the salad leaves with the buttermilk dressing, scattering over the beets and finishing with the toasted seeds.
Per serving 465 cals, 21.4g fat (6.9g saturated), 8.1g protein, 56.1g carbs, 52.7g sugars
Recipe Georgie Socratous
Photo Gareth Morgans
from Issue 37
ingredients? 750g golden or candy cane beetroot (or a mix of both)
? 50g mixed seeds
? Extra virgin olive oil
? ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
? 2 knobs of unsalted butter
? Zest and juice of 1 orange
? ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
? 150g golden caster sugar
? 2 handfuls of salad leaves
? 75ml buttermilk
? Juice of 1 lemon
? ½ bunch of mixed soft herbs, such as chervil, tarragon and mint, leaves picked and chopped