Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Cevapi with ajvar
main courses | 6
These flatbreads filled with grilled meat (cevapi) and red pepper sauce (ajvar) are the ideal football feast make the cevapi ahead of time for an easy-to-assemble dinner.
1. Make the cevapi at least a few hours before you want to cook them, or ideally the night before. Place the minced beef and pork in a large bowl, then crush in the 4 garlic cloves. Sprinkle over the bicarbonate of soda and paprika, and season.
2. Crack in the egg and use your hands to scrunch everything together. Add as much of the sparkling water as you need to make a smooth, pliable mixture.
3. Divide the meat into 1012 pieces and roll each one into a sausage shape about 10cm long and 2cm thick. Place the cevapi on an oiled baking tray, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until needed.
4. For the ajvar, preheat the oven to 230C/gas 8. Place the whole peppers and aubergines on a large roasting tray along with the unpeeled garlic bulb and roast in the oven for 3040 minutes, or until the veg skins are blackened, turning halfway through.
5. Once the peppers and aubergines are charred, place them in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave for 20 minutes, to steam off the skins. Once theyve cooled slightly, pull off and discard the skins, seeds and stalks and chop the flesh on a board.
6. Squeeze out the garlic from 6 of the roasted cloves and add it to the veg along with most of the parsley, then chop it all together. (If you have much roasted garlic left over, stir it into softened butter and store in the fridge its great for garlic bread!)
7. Keep chopping everything together, season with salt and pepper, squeeze over the juice of 1 of the lemons and drizzle over a good glug of olive oil. Adjust the seasoning to taste, then set aside.
8. Finely chop the remaining parsley, tip it into a bowl, then mix in the onion and remaining lemon juice. Set aside.
9. Just before youre ready to serve, warm your flatbreads in the oven, and place a griddle pan over a high heat. When hot, cook the cevapi for 1012 minutes, until cooked through.
10. To serve, spread some ajvar on top of the warm flatbreads, with a couple of cevapi and a guindilla pepper on top of each, a dollop of sour cream and the herby onions on the side.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo Martin Poole
ingredients 750g beef mince
400g pork mince
1 small garlic bulb, plus 4 cloves
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
150ml sparkling water
6 red peppers
A bunch of flat leaf parsley
Juice of 2 lemons
1 onion, chopped
6 flatbreads, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Pickled guindilla peppers, to serve (optional)