Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Charred prawns in a sweet aubergine sauce
main courses | serves 4
Marinate your prawns for at least a few hours but overnight is best.
1. To make a marinade, pop 2 of the garlic cloves in a blender with most of the basil leaves (saving some to serve), 1 of the chillies, the red wine vinegar and a glug of olive oil. Season lightly and blitz to a paste.
2. Pop the prawns into a bowl, add the basil paste, and mix well to coat. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for a few hours, or ideally overnight.
3. Score a cross in the top of each tomato, pop them in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave them for a minute or so, until the skin starts to peel away.
4. Drain the tomatoes and leave to cool slightly, then peel off the skins (discard them) and roughly chop the flesh. Set aside.
5. Just before you want to cook the prawns, prepare your sauce. Place a saucepan over a medium heat and add a glug of olive oil. Stir in the aubergine and fry for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden and starting to soften.
6. Deseed the remaining chilli and finely slice it, along with the rest of the garlic. Add both into the pan, followed by the oregano and basil stalks. Fry for a few minutes, then stir in the tomatoes.
7. Add a few splashes of water, bring it to a simmer, then reduce the heat a little and keep it simmering for about 30 minutes, until the aubergine has cooked down and the sauce is thick.
8. Just before the sauce is done, place a griddle pan over a high heat. Once it?s screaming hot, cook your prawns for 1½ minutes on each side, until charred, pink and cooked. Drop the prawns into the sauce as you go.
9. Stir the remaining basil leaves into the sauce then serve it topped with a few rocket leaves, if you like.
Drink: 2012 Taste the Difference Greco di Tufo, £10.49, Sainsbury?s
Per serving: 147 cals, 6.7g fat (1.1g saturated), 9.6g protein, 12.8g carbs, 10.6g sugars
Recipe Georgina Hayden
from Issue 48
ingredients? 4 garlic cloves
? 2 large bunches of basil, leaves picked, stalks finely chopped
? 2 red chillies
? 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
? Olive oil
? 16 king prawns, shelled but tails left on, butterflied
? 1kg ripe vine tomatoes
? 2 aubergines, chopped into
? 1 tsp dried oregano
? Rocket, to serve (optional)