Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
dessert recipes | serves 6
Kirsch can be found in most major supermarkets or from online drinks retailers, but it’s fine to omit this alcoholic element if you prefer.
1. Preheat the oven to 175C/gas 3–4. For the caramel, place the sugar and water in a pan and bring to the boil. When the syrup starts to colour, reduce the heat and continue to cook until the caramel turns golden brown. Remove from the heat and divide between six 150ml ramekins or metal tins, swirling it around the sides. Set aside.
2. Place the cherries, kirsch and 2 extra tablespoons of sugar in a pan and cook over a low heat for 5–7 minutes until the cherries are soft, then set aside.
3. Place the milk, cream and lemon zest in a pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until it has dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
4. Beat the eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl then whisk in the cooled milk mixture. Strain the liquid into a bowl then gently stir in the cherries, reserving half the cherry liquid.
5. Pour the cherry mixture into the caramel-lined ramekins and place in a deep roasting tin. Add enough boiling water to the roasting tin to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Carefully place the tin in the preheated oven and cook the ramekins for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Keep the flans in their ramekins and pack tightly into a hamper to take to your picnic. To serve, run a sharp knife around the edges, invert onto plates and serve with the remaining cherry syrup and any extra cherries.
Per serving 284 cals, 5.2g fat (2.1g saturated), 5.3g protein, 53.3g carbs, 53.3g sugars
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Sam Stowell
from Issue 21
ingredients• 260g stoned cherries, plus extra to serve (ideally sautéed in a little sugar and olive oil)
• 3 tbsp kirsch
• 150g sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra
• 200ml milk
• 3 tbsp single cream
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 3 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
• 100g sugar
• 60ml water