Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
# 24 - Chestnut, rosemary & pancetta focaccia
snacks and sides | serves 8 as an antipasto
The countdown of our favourite 50 recipes continues today with a look back to issue 24 and this epic focaccia. Packed with chestnuts, crispy pancetta and rosemary, it was a hit when we featured it in our 2011 Christmas issue.
1. Pour the flours into a large bowl with the sugar, salt and yeast and mix well. Form a well in the centre and pour in the water, then mix the liquid around with your fingers, drawing flour in and gradually combining the ingredients to form a dough.
2. Transfer the dough to a floured surface; knead for 5 minutes, then put back in a clean bowl, cover with a warm, damp cloth and leave somewhere warmish to prove.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Meanwhile, lightly oil a 20cm x 30cm baking tray. When the dough has doubled in size, which should take about 30 minutes, tip it back onto the floured work surface and knead again briefly, adding flour if its a little too sticky.
4. Rub a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough to form a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Using the rolling pin, lift the dough and unroll it over the tray, dropping it neatly into place. Leave to prove for another 30 minutes.
5. When the focaccia has risen again slightly, push the chestnuts and rosemary springs into the dough. Lay the pancetta on top, so it can crisp up in the oven. Sprinkle with a little salt and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 1520 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack. Drizzle the focaccia generously with olive oil, and sprinkle with a little more sea salt.
Look out for a fiery Mexican feast in tomorrow's recipe!
Recipe Pete Begg
Photo Yuki Sugiura
from Issue 24
ingredients 300g tipo 00 flour, plus extra
100g semolina flour
100g chestnut flour
½ tsp sugar
6g fine sea salt
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
325ml tepid water, about body heat
125g vacuum-packed chestnuts
A handful of small rosemary sprigs
50g thinly sliced pancetta, cut into 5cm lengths