Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Chicken & herb biscuits
main courses | serves 6-8
1. For the biscuits, combine the dry ingredients and herbs. Work in the butter with your fingers until the mixture forms big crumbs, the size of small peas.
2. Add the cream and mix until evenly incorporated. The dough should be slightly sticky. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and pat into a 2.5cm-thick circle. Using a 5cm-diameter cutter, cut into 12–14 rounds. Set aside to cook with the chicken.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, and add the celery and onion. Cook, stirring, for about 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables start to turn golden.
4. Add the carrots and squash and sauté until they begin to soften. Add the bay leaf and chicken stock. Bring the whole broth to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. In a bowl, whisk 120ml cold water and 2 tablespoons
of flour until combined. Add a cup of the hot broth to the flour and water and whisk well. Strain the mixture and whisk it back into the broth.
6. Bring the broth to a boil. Add the chicken, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the broth into a 2.8-litre baking dish. Top the chicken with the uncooked biscuits and bake for 35–40 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through, and the broth is bubbling.
Recipe Maria Helm Sinskey
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 32
ingredients• 15ml olive oil
• 2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 carrots, cut into 2.5cm pieces
• 300g peeled butternut squash, cut into 2.5cm chunks
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 litre chicken stock
• 700g cooked chicken, diced or shredded (a mixture of light and dark meat is best)
• 2 tbsp flour
• 230g plain flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1½ tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp finely chopped thyme leaves
• ½ tsp finely chopped rosemary
• 110g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into chunks
• 240ml single cream