Enter keyword(s) below for to search
main courses | serves 8
This recipe is all about sharing flavours. The bread soaks up the herby roasting juices of the chicken to give you the crunchiest, most delicious croutons ever.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Rub the chicken with salt, pepper and olive oil, and stuff with the herbs, reserving some rosemary for later.
2. Tear up the ciabatta and scatter in a roasting tin along with the crushed garlic and place the chicken on top. Roast for 1½ hours, until cooked through and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a skewer. When the chicken is cooked, take it out of the oven and leave it to rest.
3. Roughly chop the tomatoes into different shapes and sizes. Keep half to one side and add the rest to a large bowl with half of the basil leaves. Keep the remaining leaves for later.
4. Add the onion to the bowl along with a good splash of red wine vinegar. Scrunch the whole lot together with your hands. You want to end up with a colourful, tasty pulp. Taste and season, if necessary.
5. Add 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of black pepper, then give it all a good stir. Take the bread from the roasting tray and add most of it to the bowl (reserving a few pieces), and toss together really well.
6. Chop up the olives and add to the bowl along with the capers and remaining tomatoes, bread and basil. Mix gently to bring it all together and finish with a sprinkling of rosemary leaves and shavings of parmesan. Carve the chicken and serve with the panzanella.
Per serving 328 cals, 11.1g fat (2.4g saturated), 27.2g protein, 27.2g carbs, 10g sugars
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 39
ingredients• 1.5kg chicken
• Olive oil
• A bunch of mixed herbs, such as sage, rosemary and thyme
• 1 ciabatta loaf (about 270g)
• 1 garlic bulb, cloves crushed
• 2kg mixed ripe tomatoes
• A bunch of basil, leaves picked
• 1 small red onion, finely sliced
• Red wine vinegar
• 100g whole black olives, destoned
• 2 tbsp baby capers
• Parmesan for shaving