Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Chilled cucumber soup
starter | serves 10–12
This classic British summertime menu is ideal for a garden party at home, though you can easily bundle it all into a thermos and containers to transport to a picnic too.
1. Melt the butter in a large pan and sauté the onions over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes, until softened. Add the cucumber, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat again. Season well, and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Add the chives, parsley and lemon juice and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth (in batches, if necessary). Place the soup in a bowl, allow to cool at room temperature then refrigerate until cold. Pour into a large thermos or two to take to your picnic, then whisk in the cream and season to taste there.
Per serving 133 cals, 9g fat (5g saturated), 4.7g protein, 7.7g carbs, 4.5g sugars
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Sam Stowell
from Issue 21
ingredients• 60g butter
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cucumbers, roughly chopped
• 1.5l chicken stock
• ½ bunch of chives, chopped
• ½ bunch of parsley, leaves chopped
• Juice of 2 lemons
• 200ml single cream