Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Chocolate peanut butter meringue stack
dessert recipes | 12
1. Preheat your oven to 170C/gas 3, and grease and line the base of two 23cm spring-form cake tins. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 20 seconds and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and brown sugar in a bowl until pale, then beat in one of the eggs. Separate the rest of the eggs, reserving the whites in a clean bowl. Add the yolks to the creamed mixture along with the ground almonds and beat to combine.
3. Mix together the flour, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl, stir in ½ teaspoon of salt and fold this into the wet ingredients. Stir in the milk and melted chocolate until thoroughly combined, then divide evenly between the lined tins and set aside while you make the meringue.
4. Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar until the peaks become stiff.
5. In a separate bowl, combine 6 tablespoons of the meringue with 4 tablespoons of the peanut butter, and ripple this through the cake batter in the tins. Then use the rest of the meringue to top the cakes, spreading it out into an even layer.
6. Bake the cakes for 35 minutes, covering with tin foil after 10 minutes, until firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. In a bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks, then fold in the yoghurt. In another bowl, combine the rest of the peanut butter with the groundnut oil.
8. To assemble your stack, spoon half of the cream over one of the cakes, drizzle on most of the peanut butter sauce and top with the second sponge. Finish with the remaining cream and peanut butter sauce, grate over the extra chocolate, and serve.
Recipe Georgina Hayden
Photo Emma Lee
from Issue 50
ingredients 275g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
100g 70%-cocoa dark chocolate, broken into pieces, plus extra to serve
275g light brown sugar
5 large eggs
100g ground almonds
175g self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
200g caster sugar
6 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
200ml double cream
200g fat-free Greek yoghurt
2 tbsp groundnut oil