Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Christmas cake trifle
dessert recipes | serves 6-8
This is a great way to use up leftover Christmas cake or pudding. The amounts given here are just a guide – adjust it according to how much leftover cake you have, and whatever fruits you have to hand.
1. Combine the mango, pineapple and pomegranate seeds in a bowl. Mix in 20ml dark rum, and set aside.
2. Heat a pan over a medium heat, add the almonds and sugar and cook for 2–3 minutes or until golden. Add the golden rum and cook for a few minutes. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
3 .Place the Christmas pudding or cake in a 1.5-litre glass bowl and press firmly into the base. Drizzle over the remaining 80ml dark rum then pour over the custard. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 3 hours so the custard can set a little.
4. Remove the trifle from the fridge and spoon the cherry jam over the custard. Add the chopped fruit, the segments of the 2 clementines, cover with whipped cream and decorate with toasted almonds. Finely grate over the zest of the 2 clementines, shave over the chocolate and serve.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Con Poulos
from Issue 24
ingredients• 1 small mango, flesh chopped
• 1 small pineapple, flesh chopped
• Seeds from ½ pomegranate
• 100ml dark rum
• 4 tbsp flaked almonds
• ½ tbsp granulated sugar
• A splash of golden rum
• 250g Christmas pudding or fruit cake, roughly chopped
• 250ml thick custard
• 120g cherry jam
• 2 clementines
• 230ml double cream, whipped
• 15g dark chocolate, shaved