Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
dessert recipes | serves 10
1. Butter a 1.2 litre pudding basin. Weigh out all of your dry ingredients and put in to a large mixing bowl ? when making puddings, because there are lots of ingredients, it is a good idea to tick everything off so as not to leave anything out. Grate in the whole apple, carrot and orange zest.
2. In a large jug measure out the stout, add the eggs and beat thoroughly together, then squeeze in the juice or the orange, add the black treacle and mix well.
3. Now pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, mixing very well with a large wooden spoon ? its tradition to get the whole family to have a stir and make a wish. (People used to always put a silver sixpence in to the pudding.).
4. Spoon the mixture in to the pudding basin and pack it in tightly. Cover with a double sheet of baking paper, with a fold in the middle to allow for expansion, then cover with a sheet of foil and tie securely with some string ? you will need the help of somebody?s finger here. You can make a handle across the pudding by tying a piece of string. Place the pudding in a large saucepan of simmering water (it should just be halfway up), and steam the pudding for 6 hours. Make sure you keep an eye on the pan from time time, topping up with boiling water when necessary.
5. When the pudding is cooked, remove the paper and foil, tip away any water, allow to cool completely then replace with new greaseproof and foil, tying with string. This is now ready for reheating thoroughly on Christmas Day, so keep it somewhere cool and dark for up to a month.
Recipe Ginny Rolfe
Photo Sam Stowell
from Issue 14
ingredients? A large knob of softened butter
? 100g self raising flour
? 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
? large pinch of salt
? ½ nutmeg, finely grated
? 1 teaspoon mixed spice
? large pinch of cinnamon
? 150g shredded vegetable suet
? 200g soft brown dark sugar
? 100g currants
? 100g sultanas
? 200g raisins
? 100g mixed peel, finely chopped
? 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds
? 1 small bramley apple, peeled
? 1 small carrot, grated
? Zest & juice of 1 large orange
? 200ml stout
? 3 large eggs
? 1 tbsp black treacle