Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Fish baked in salt
main courses | serves 2
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/gas 9. Combine the salt and egg whites in a large bowl and spread half over a baking tray big enough for your fish. Place the fish on the bed of salt. Slice up half the lemon and stuff it into the cavity with most of the dill and thyme, and the garlic. Squeeze the other lemon half over the fish and scatter with some of the dill and the rest of the thyme. Cover with the remaining salt and pack it tightly around the fish.
2. Bake for 20–25 minutes until the salt is golden brown. Poke a skewer through the crust into the thickest part of the fish and hold it there for 5 seconds. Hold it against the inside of your wrist – if the skewer is warm to hot, the fish is done. If not, return to the oven for 3–5 minutes.
3. Once cooked, hit the salt crust hard with a wooden spoon until it cracks. Peel away the top crust layer, which will lift away the skin. Use a pastry brush to remove any loose salt, then lift the top fillet off with a palette knife or fish slice and move to a plate. Lift away the bones and move the bottom fillet to a plate. Serve with black pepper, chopped dill and lemon wedges.
Per serving 158 cals, 0.3g sugars, 4.4g fat (0.2g saturated), 25.1g protein, 3.2g carbs
Recipe Laura Fyfe
Photo Dan Jones
from Issue 39
ingredients• 1.5kg rock salt
• 3 egg whites
• 1 gilthead bream, (about 400-500g) gutted, scales left on
• A small bunch of dill
• A small bunch of thyme
• 4 garlic cloves, squashed
• 1 lemon, plus extra wedges