Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Gluten-free mince pies
dessert recipes | makes 8
Craving a good gluten-free mince pie? Sorted. This recipe will give you enough filling for 16 pies, so store leftovers in a jar for up to a week in the fridge for a fresh batch later.
1. To make the fruit filling, pop all the ingredients into a bowl, mix well, and leave covered in the fridge overnight for the flavours to develop.
2. To make the pastry, mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then use your fingers to rub in the butter to form breadcrumbs. Mix in the vanilla seeds and lemon zest.
3 Add 2 tablespoons cold water to the mix, then quickly and gently work it into a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pastry from the fridge. Place a large sheet of greaseproof paper in front of you, put the chilled dough on top, place another sheet on top and thinly roll out the pastry (this will stop you needing any more flour).
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4, grease your pie tin well and take the fruit out of the fridge. Cut out 12 pastry circles, big enough for your tin and 12 star lids (if you dont have a star cutter, just make round lids).
6. Place a round in each of the pie moulds, before filling with the fruit and topping with a lid. Brush with a little milk to help them colour.
7. Bake for 1520 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool before taking out of the tins. Once completely cooled, dust with icing sugar.
Recipe Jennifer McLaughlin
from Issue 33
ingredients 75g rice flour
40g tapioca or gluten-free flour
40g gram flour (chickpea flour)
70g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
4 tbsp sugar
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped
Grated zest of 1 lemon or orange
Milk, for brushing
Icing sugar, for dusting
40g grated apple
1 tbsp each of grated orange
and lemon zest
1 banana, mashed
70ml fresh orange juice
A good pinch of grated nutmeg
A good pinch of allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp golden syrup
80g each of dried apricots,dried sour cherries, dried cranberries and dried blueberries
2 tbsp brandy (optional)