Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Haggis scotch egg
snacks and sides | Makes 4
1. Place 4 of the eggs in a pan of cold, salted water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8 minutes. Drain, then cool the eggs in cold water. Peel and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix the sausage meat, haggis and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Divide into 4 and flatten out on a clean surface, shaping them into ovals 12cm long and 7cm at the widest point. Wrap one completely around each egg, ensuring the outside is smooth.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Spread the flour over a tray, beat the remaining 2 eggs in a shallow dish with a splash of milk, and tip the breadcrumbs into a bowl. Dip each scotch egg in flour, then egg wash, then roll in the crumbs to coat. Repeat with the egg wash and the breadcrumbs, so that each egg is thickly coated.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until it reaches 180C. Deep-fry the scotch eggs for 2 minutes, until golden.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and drain on kitchen paper. Pop on a baking tray and bake for 810 minutes, until the meat is cooked. Cool and serve.
Per serving 636 cals, 51g fat (12.6g saturated), 26.8g protein, 19.9g carbs, 1.8g sugar
Photo Adrienne Pitts
from Issue 45
ingredients 6 medium eggs
200g pork sausage meat
or 2 thick pork sausages
160g haggis, crumbled
1 tsp chopped parsley
40g plain flour
A splash of milk
120g panko breadcrumbs
500ml vegetable oil