Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Ice cream sandwiches
dessert recipes | Makes 12
An oldie but a goodie! These can be prepared ahead, with the sandwiches assembled and stored in an airtight container in the freezer until needed.
1. For the sponge, preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and line a 35 x 28cm Swiss roll tin with greased baking paper.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low-medium heat, until it starts to turn golden brown and smells deliciously nutty. Remove from the heat and leave it to cool to room temperature.
3. Crack the eggs into the bowl of a free-standing mixer, add the caster sugar and vanilla and whisk it on a medium-high speed, until its tripled in volume, is thick and pale, and leaves a trail when the whisk is lifted from the bowl this will take about 34 minutes.
4. In a bowl, stir together the flour, ground almonds and baking powder with a pinch of salt, then gently fold this into the egg mixture. Pour the cooled butter around the inside edge of the bowl and gently fold this in too.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin, spread it level, scatter over the flaked almonds and bake it on the middle shelf of the oven for 1012 minutes, until the cake is golden, risen and springy.
6. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a couple of minutes before transferring it, still on the paper, to a wire cooling rack
to cool completely.
7. Use a 6cm cookie cutter to stamp out circles from the cake and place them top-side down on your work surface (if the cake is quite thick, halve it horizontally). Spread the underside of each with jam.
8. Using the same cutter, stamp out discs from the ice cream slab, then sandwich each with jammy sponge, and serve.
Per serving 464 cals, 23.8g fat (11.1g sat fats), 10.2g protein, 55.1g carbs, 44.3g sugars
Homemade makes all the difference! See our recipe for vanilla ice cream here
Recipe Annie Rigg
Photo Maja Smend
ingredients 40g butter, plus extra for greasing
3 large eggs
90g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
75g plain flour
40g ground almonds
½ tsp baking powder
30g flaked almonds
56 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
1 litre vanilla ice cream block