Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Italian-style stuffed lamb
main courses | serves 8–10
If you can find them (try good delicatessens), do use grilled artichoke hearts that have been marinated in oil for this recipe. They hold their shape better than jarred artichokes, which have been pasteurised but are, of course, also fine.
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/gas 7–8. Place the butterflied lamb leg flat on a wooden board and lay the slices of pecorino on top.
2. Flatten the artichoke hearts with the ball of your hand then layer them over the pecorino. Then place the anchovy fillets on top, followed by the herbs and then the breadcrumbs. Season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with half the olive oil.
3. Using both hands, firmly roll up the lamb from the short end, so it’s the shape of a swiss roll. Tie it tightly with kitchen string at 3cm intervals then transfer to a roasting tin. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and add 50ml water to the bottom of the tin. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 160C/gas 2–3 for 1½ hours. Allow the lamb to rest for 10 minutes before carving into thick slices. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Sam Stowell
from Issue 17
ingredients• 1 x 2.4kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
• 120g pecorino romano, sliced and cut into triangles
• 5–6 grilled artichoke hearts
• 14 anchovy fillets, drained
• 2 tbsp each roughly chopped mint, rosemary and flat-leaf parsley
• 2 tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
• 2 tbsp olive oil