Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Jamie’s jerk ham
main courses | Makes 1 ham
Jamie takes a traditional recipe and gives it a spin with bold, bright and punchy jerk flavours, making it just the thing for sharing on a summer afternoon's picnic.
1. Preheat the oven to 160/gas 3. Place the ham in a roasting pan and add the peppercorns, onion and bouquet garni. Add water until it comes halfway up the side of the pan. Cover the ham with foil (making a tent to allow steam to circulate). Bake for 1˝ hours or until pink and cooked through, then remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes, remaining covered. While it’s still warm, you will need to carefully remove the skin, keeping the fat attached to the ham. With a sharp knife, score the ham by making diagonal cuts across the leg.
2. To make jerk seasoning, blend all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Rub the jerk seasoning all over the ham and scored fat. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for 24 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Combine glaze ingredients in a bowl. Remove ham from the fridge, scrape off excess seasoning and bake for an hour. Remove from oven, brush with glaze, then continue cooking the ham for another 30–40 minutes, basting with glaze every 10 minutes until crisp, golden and sticky.
Look out tomorrow for a Greek lamb one-pot classic...
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 1
ingredients• 3kg leg of ham
• 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
• 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
• 1 bouquet garni (leek, celery, bay leaves, thyme)
• 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 5 scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded, then chopped
• 4 red shallots, peeled and diced
• 1 bunch chives, chopped
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 12 sprigs fresh thyme
• 3 fresh bay leaves
• 2 tbsp each ground allspice, ground nutmeg,
ground cloves and sea salt
• 125ml golden rum
• 125ml malt vinegar
• 3 tbsp marmalade
• 250ml orange juice
• 125ml golden rum