Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Lamb & cheese pie
main courses | serves 12
"Lamb pies can be found all over Greece," says Andy. "Lots use minced or leftover roast lamb that?s simmered with herbs and spices, then layered with wilted greens and grated feta or hard cheese. This Cretan version has a lovely, yeasty dough crust."
1. Dissolve the yeast in 225ml warm water and set aside for 5 minutes. Combine the flour and salt and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mix, olive oil and eggs and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
2. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes, adding extra flour to the dough if it?s too sticky. Lightly grease the bowl with olive oil then return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile for the lamb and cheese filling, heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion, garlic and spring onions and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened. Remove from the pan. Season the lamb and brown in the pan over a medium heat, in batches if need be. Stir in the cinnamon, then return the onion mixture to the pan. Add the white wine and 100ml water and stir to pick up the crisp bits on the base. Simmer for 30 minutes, with a lid on for the first 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, beat 1 egg and stir into the cheeses. Lightly grease a 23cm springform pan with a little olive oil.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Divide the dough in half. Lightly flour a work surface and roll the first piece of dough into a circle about 35cm wide. Carefully place into the pan and lightly press into the base and sides, leaving about 3cm of pastry hanging over the rim of the pan.
6. Spread half the lamb mixture over the base, followed by half the cheese mixture, then half the cooked spinach. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
7. Roll out the second piece of dough and place over the filling. Trim the edges, but leave about 4cm of overhang. Roll up the overhanging dough and crimp the edges.
8. Make a hole in the centre of the pastry lid. Beat the remaining egg and brush over the pie then bake for 45?50 minutes, or till golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve with a mixed green salad.
Per serving 646 cals, 34.9g fat (15.5g saturated), 39g protein, 40.9g carbs, 3g sugars
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo Myles New
from Issue 27
ingredients? 7g dried yeast
? 650g flour, plus extra to dust
? 1 tsp salt
? 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
? 2 eggs, beaten
? Mixed leaves, to serve
Lamb & cheese filling
? 2 tbsp olive oil
? 1 large onion, thinly sliced
? 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
? 6 spring onions, chopped
? 1.4kg boneless lamb neck, cubed
? 1 tsp ground cinnamon
? 100ml white wine
? 2 eggs
? 75g hard goat?s cheese, grated
? 180g pecorino, grated
? 800g spinach or swiss chard, cooked, drained and chopped