Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Leg of lamb with amazing gravy
main courses | serves 8
If you’re looking for a celebratory treat of a dish, this is it. And you can’t have good old lamb roast without mint sauce and epic
gravy – dead easy, but so bloody tasty. It’s got to be the perfect Easter lunch.
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 6. Using a sharp knife or a clean Stanley knife, score the lamb all over, ½cm apart and 3mm deep – this gives it the most amazing, gnarly, crispy surface and a blushing centre.
2. Make the herby butter by putting the butter, thyme and rosemary into a blender, season well, then whizz to combine. Pop it into a bowl and set aside.
3. Arrange the red onions and garlic cloves in a large roasting tray. Smear the herby butter all over the lamb, then pop the meat on top of the veg. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes for every 450g, plus 20 minutes at the end, for blushing meat.
4. Meanwhile, boil the celeriac and potatoes in a pan of salted water for 15–20 minutes, or until soft. Drain, allow to steam dry, then mash with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil
(or butter if you prefer) and season well with a little grated nutmeg and some salt and pepper.
5. When the lamb is cooked, allow it to rest for at least 10 minutes. While it’s doing so, make the gravy. Set aside half a red onion to make the mint sauce, then squash the rest
of the onions into the tray. Stir in the flour, a glug of port and the stock, and place over a high heat to allow the gravy to reduce, stirring continuously. Then pass through a sieve and keep hot.
6. Prepare the mint sauce by popping the reserved onion half out of its skin and finely chopping it with the mint, then mix them together in a bowl with the vinegar and sugar. Take everything to the table, and dig in!
Per serving 535 cals, 26.6g fat (12.9g saturated), 34.8g protein, 35.7g carbs, 8.6g sugars
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 37
ingredients2.5–3kg leg of lamb
4 unpeeled red onions, halved
2 garlic bulbs, cloves separated and bashed
100g unsalted butter, softened
½ bunch of thyme, leaves picked
½ bunch of rosemary, leaves picked
3 tbsp plain flour
A good glug of port
1 litre hot organic chicken stock
• 1 celeriac, cut into 3cm chunks
1kg potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
A glug of extra virgin olive oil
1 whole nutmeg, for grating
1 big bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp soft brown sugar