Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Lemon ripple tart
dessert recipes | serves 10
"In just one bite of this you get soft lemony filling, crumbly pastry, and a bite of caramelised sugar.," says Jamie. "Heaven."
1. For the pastry, sieve the flour and icing sugar onto a surface, then use your fingers to gently work in the butter till you have ‘crumbs’. Sprinkle in the zest, then gradually add the egg mixture till you get a ball of dough. Dust this with flour, flatten slightly, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for about 30 minutes.
2. Grease a loose-bottomed 28cm tart tin. Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with flour and roll the pastry into a circle that’s 5mm thick and big enough to line the tart tin. Lightly press the pastry into the tin, trim off any excess, then cover with clingfilm and put in the freezer for at least an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Unwrap the tart case, line it with greaseproof paper, then fill with rice or dried beans. Bake the pastry in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and baking beans and return to the oven for about 15 minutes or until light brown.
4. For the filling, put the yolks, eggs, sugar, vanilla seeds and lemon juice and zest into a heavy-bottomed pan; whisk over a very low heat until the mixture starts to thicken. Stir in the butter, making sure you get all the bits of curd from the bottom of the pan. When it looks like really thick custard and coats the back of a spoon, take it off the heat and let it cool a little. Give it a whisk, then strain through a sieve.
5. Mash the raspberries with the sugar in a small pan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring continuously, until it starts to look like jam.
6. Spoon the lukewarm lemon curd into the tart and give it a shake so that the mixture spreads. Spoon the raspberry jam over the lemon and gently stir it to create a ripple effect. Cool the tart for 30 minutes. If you like, dust the top with a layer of icing sugar and caramelise it with a kitchen blowtorch.
Recipe Jamie Oliver
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 9
ingredients• 6 egg yolks
• 5 eggs
• 270g caster sugar
• 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways, seeds removed
• 250ml lemon juice, plus the grated zest from the lemons
• 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 250g raspberries
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• Icing sugar, for caramelising (optional)
• 500g plain flour, plus extra
• 100g icing sugar
• 250g cold unsalted butter, cubed
• Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
• 2 eggs, beaten with a splash of milk