Recipe top 10
Stuck for something new to excite your taste buds? Check out our 10 most viewed recipes
of the week.
Enter keyword(s) below for to search
Lentil & pasta soup
main courses | serves 6-8
An Italian favourite – especially in Sicily and Puglia, where the art of cucina povera utilises lentils and pasta, with a few simple additions, to great effect.
1. Cook the lentils in lightly salted water with the onion, celery, bay leaf and a splash of olive oil until they are soft – about 25–30 minutes. Once cooked, drain and discard the vegetables and bay leaf.
2. Sauté the onion and garlic in a good splash of olive oil over medium heat until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and chilli flakes and continue to cook until the tomatoes begin to break up. Add the drained lentils plus 1 litre of water and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to packet instructions until al dente. Drain and add to the soup, then simmer for 2–3 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with some grated pecorino and drizzle with olive oil.
Recipe Andy Harris
Photo David Loftus
from Issue 15
ingredients• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• 400g tomatoes, peeled, deseeded
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 300g ditalini pasta or other small soup pasta
• Grated pecorino or parmesan, to serve
• 400g lentils
• 1 small onion, halved
• 1 celery stick
• 1 bay leaf
• Olive oil